Clicky

Do you use a pen tablet and if so what size tablet?

Thread: Do you use a pen tablet and if so what size tablet?

Default Do you use a pen tablet and if so what size tablet?

Simple question! Do you use a tablet for Post in Photoshop Etc, and if so what size? I've not used one much before and was wondering which one to get. I will be using it for more accurate work on renderings - thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I use a Wacom Intuous 4 large size.

It works great and I have had no problems with it. If you have never used a tablet before, they take a lot of getting used to, but are really a must have for programs like Zbrush or Mudbox.

As far as photoshop goes, they are useful for things like dodging in highlights or painting in really accurate masks.

As an added bonus, I'm a lefty, so switching to the tablet every once in a while gives my mouse hand a nice break.

Thanks RendNerd - what advantages does the large size have over the smaller?

The large size isn't really all that large. The active drawing area is about the size of a piece of copy paper. If I stepped it down to a medium it would only be 8.8 x 5.5 inches. If you combine that smaller size with a 27 inch monitor you lose a lot of accuracy. I also do some sketching with mine and it is hard for me to draw straight lines unless I draw from the shoulder, which generally requires more real estate.

I have three tablets. I have an intuos medium, an intuos large, and the cintiq hybrid. i enjoy sketching for fun, hence all the tablets. for my archviz post work, i exclusively use the intuos medium. you can see some of my my non-NDA barred work at www.threemarks.com. the medium was the first i ever bought, and its still my main workhorse (8 years and besides worn nibs and a couple replacement pens, still going strong!). perhaps its because i started with it, but here is what i have found.

the medium is the perfect size for the type of shaping and shading i use for arch viz. i only have to move my wrist, whether im cutting out people, shading in vignettes, painting in mattes, or subtly adjusting color/light. with the large, which i absolutely love for sketching in photoshop, i find myself having to move my entire arm even for simple tasks like painting in a vignette or a not quite perfect gradient. it slows me down. the same reason i love it for drawing, i hate it for arch viz post work: i just have to move my arm too much. i find myself to be much more efficient with the medium. the cintiq hybrid, which has about the same size screen as the medium does drawing surface i find is just too small for a monitor / tablet combo. the menus and toolbars take up too much screen real estate, my hand covers too much of the image. i love it for sketching on trains and planes and while on the go, but that is about all that i use if for. id love to give one of the big cintiqs a go, but i think for arch viz work, nothing will ever replace my medium. just my two cents, but thats what ive found and what works for me.
    Mike Golden.
    www.threemarks.com