Clicky

Team : 133
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Team : 133

Default Team : 133

Hi, we are a team of students in digital art, mostly games. We used Unreal Engine and Maya quite a bit, but nothing major. We had been looking at this competition since it is posted in the Unreal forum but we didn't have any major ideas til recently. Regardless of the outcome, I think this will be very fun and also lot of suffering, but this can be a great learning opportunity!

I will keep updating as we progress.

Name:  CloudySunRise.jpg
Views: 3554
Size:  61.3 KB
    Last edited by Wesycg; 09-16-2015 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Added image from submission video

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We were experimenting with the pixel depth offset material in the 4.8 version of Unreal Engine. It seem like is better in performance than tessellation at the moment so we will be using it. Here is a screenshot of couple of textures we are working on.Name:  POMaterial.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  91.0 KB

Small update:
    Did some test with glass material, especially with shadows from wineglasses.
    Name:  WineGlassesTest.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  35.2 KB

This is the wireframe of our building. The next step is to find a way to use combination of blueprint and modular meshes to let people customize as much as they want with the building. We are heading toward procedural and interactivity aspect. Name:  BdgWireframe.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  78.0 KB

We spent the last few days working on blueprint for the building. We made a test interface so that we can play with different settings for the building. In the video, you can see how we can dynamically add windows to the wall. We are still exploring many ideas and features that will be useful to let people interact and change the building. Any feedback or suggestions will be very welcome
    https://youtu.be/bVlLX2OR6q4

really interesting idea there with the blueprint! Are you using BSP's there or is that all static meshes? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmbrnbpHT9E This came to mind when I saw the windows getting added and may work well in this case Another question - are those baked translucent shadows you're getting from the glass? They look great! I can't seem to get that effect from dynamic shadows though...

Hi leftright, thanks for your feedback. Yes, they are all static mesh, and they are using location based opacity. We follow this tutorial but we have to come up with new blueprint to make it non spherical shape. Regarding the glass, I based my material mainly from this post, but definitely had some trouble with it in the beginning. When I was still using 4.7.4 of the engine, I needed to make a movable directional light and remove lightmass to make it work. Maybe something with lightmass interfering with it? Not sure, but I will check on it again in 4.8.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesycg View Post
    Hi leftright, thanks for your feedback. Yes, they are all static mesh, and they are using location based opacity. We follow this tutorial but we have to come up with new blueprint to make it non spherical shape. Regarding the glass, I based my material mainly from this post, but definitely had some trouble with it in the beginning. When I was still using 4.7.4 of the engine, I needed to make a movable directional light and remove lightmass to make it work. Maybe something with lightmass interfering with it? Not sure, but I will check on it again in 4.8.
    Hi Wesycg thanks for the reply! interesting idea with the opacity shader, that should look really interesting in the final product. Hmm I wish there was a way to get translucent shadows without having to bake in static shadows though...thanks for the help, good luck with the rest of the challenge

Hi everyone. Quick update, we quickly made some trees and made some blueprints so that anyone in the standalone build can change the placement and color of the vineyard. Because I can't record the process inside the editor, and the interface isn't ready yet, I decided to make a quick lerp and time node to record the changes with the appearance. Sorry for the bad quality in advance.
    https://youtu.be/0G2yiUtEKI4

Quote Originally Posted by Wesycg View Post
    Hi everyone. Quick update, we quickly made some trees and made some blueprints so that anyone in the standalone build can change the placement and color of the vineyard. Because I can't record the process inside the editor, and the interface isn't ready yet, I decided to make a quick lerp and time node to record the changes with the appearance. Sorry for the bad quality in advance.
    https://youtu.be/0G2yiUtEKI4
    this is great! really like both the framerate, subtle color variation, and dynamic shadows! my only feedback here would be maybe you could add a second grass layer type with the same params as the vines, but start invisible on ground and fade into autumn leaves as time shifts? as leaves degrade over time, it appears they've fallen to ground? (basically by just switching the lerp's A and B nodes?) in any case, great work! I look forward to more.

Hi psyb0rg, thanks for your comments! I'm going to work on the grass layer for the landscape just like you had mentioned, but we shall see

Hi everyone. We are all back from the break, and are getting ready to put our works together into a single project. I will be slowly merging all the works and then post updates. First update, we happened to still have 30 credits from the marketplace, so we decided to purchase Ultra Dynamic Sky. Together with the light propagation volume, we are not using lightmass for the project.
    https://youtu.be/neb0nbopX6g