Clicky

Team : So Wrong! Studios
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Team : So Wrong! Studios

Default Team : So Wrong! Studios

Team SWS enters the challenge

Thaurdol - 3D/Environment artist
    Cookielord - 3D/VFX artist

We represent So Wrong! Studios, a startup studio with a few games in the makes. By entering we aim to improve our studios name in the industry which is very hard as a startup company. We are still tweaking our designs a bit and once we have our plan finalized I'll post it here. Neither of us has worked with UE4 before though we have used UDK in the past. Both of us come from the same game development university in Belgium called Digital Arts & Entertainment.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

About time for an update

Here is the moodboard for the environment we're going for. Most of the reference is taken in Portugal which is where we are also basing our hotel from. We've already made a terrain in World Machine though it is just a test to see how World Machine and UE4 work together.
    http://i.imgur.com/yDgp9XU.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/M0Quj0B.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/9egFhB0.jpg

And then some pictures/screengrabs from our progress

Blockout of the exterior and interior on a grid to match with UE4. From this I will start making modular assets to reassemble the building in the engine. Modularity will greatly benefit us as we can benefit from using the same assets multiple times for different end results.
    http://i.imgur.com/sFyGYOi.png

Cookielord is busy with making the interior modeling, starting with making props for the bar and lounge rooms.
    http://i.imgur.com/dnLLPkX.png

We've also started working on some materials and texturing. These however are rendered out in Marmoset Toolbag 2 and not in UE4
    http://i.imgur.com/HJuzoNQ.png
    http://i.imgur.com/DB7CbNK.png
    http://i.imgur.com/Dz2918J.png

I've a question that I'm going to drop in here to end this update with. Are we allowed to stream our progress for instance on twitch? Also, is anyone else experiencing a long loading time on this forum? For me it takes quite a few seconds to load any changes or when further opening links on this website and I'm quite sure the fault is not my 100MBs fiber connection.

I'll check the server. If anyone else has slow experience on the forum - please let me know. Use the yellow contact bar at the low right for alerting me on things like that.

Update time:

Placed the terrain heightmap into UE4 and threw in a quick diffuse texture combined in PS as well as the normal map baked from World Machine. Its just a simple preview material and has nothing fancy...yet. Next on the list is to make detail textures to blend on top of the terrain in the engine.

Name:  Terrain (1).jpg
Views: 344
Size:  37.4 KB
    Name:  Terrain (2).jpg
Views: 346
Size:  36.6 KB
    Name:  Terrain (3).jpg
Views: 338
Size:  47.2 KB

Here we go again

This time I'm showing two realtime screencaptures from UE4 one of which is the bar and the 2nd picture is the library. The floor and wall materials are far from finished and they are just placeholders for the real deal. For now they work as a means to view the interior. The wooden frames and roof beams are trim textures that loop horizontally. They only use a normal map and an AO map at this point.

I've also started working on the master shader which at this point uses 5 different input maps, Albedo, Roughness, Metalness, AO and Normal. Later on I will optimize Roughness, Metalness and AO to use one input alone. In the master material I can also use if statements to check wether I want to use a constant vector rather than an input map as not all materials require all 5 maps.

Cookielord has been hard at work with creating the smaller individual assets that will be placed on top of our modular interior and exterior. Don't be fooled by the emptiness of our rooms for now, they will come alive soon™

Name:  Vineyard_Bar.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  53.2 KB
    High quality image ->http://i.imgur.com/d4qQTAk.png

Name:  Vineyard_Library.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  52.3 KB
    High quality image ->http://i.imgur.com/8W70hJ2.png

Name:  Master_Mat.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  88.3 KB
    High quality image ->http://i.imgur.com/pElXDqe.png
    Last edited by Thaurdol; 07-31-2015 at 11:32 PM.

Here is a closer look into my workflow in creating some of the assets for my teams entry, I'm writing this post as i'm waiting for the asset in question to finish baking. In this case I'm making a wooden beam that sits on top of some pillars. I'll start with sharing a reference photo of the asset I'm creating.
    Name:  Reference.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  77.6 KB

I begin by matching a blockout version of the beam to the interior blockout that I've created in 3DSM. Once sure that the block fits the measurements of the scene I'm going to move on to the detailed highpoly version of the asset. The red block in this blockout is to help me see the height I'm allowed to use until the floor above begins. The blockout is created on a 10cm grid that matches UE4 to ensure that I get no surprises in the engine.
    Name:  SizeCheck.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  47.6 KB

I then clone the blockout and using its boundaries I make a highpoly replica from the asset I see in my reference pictures. I'm not going to go into detail by taking this into a sculpting program and adding material definition and some wear and tear to it as I don't see that necessary for this piece in particular. I can later on add the smaller scale detail by generating normals in Photoshop where needed.
    Name:  Highpoly.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  25.3 KB

Once the highpoly is done I take the original blockout and add lines where needed to match the two meshes. I usually clone a reference of the lowpoly version next to the stacked meshes to see the lowpoly mesh on its own. Once I've matched the meshes I leave a few loops to help the baking process in capturing the normal and AO data.
    Name:  UV.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  49.0 KB

I UV the reference mesh as its easier to see. Seeing as this is mostly just a long block shape I'm going to UV it as one big island. While this will leave me with a LOT of empty unused UV space, I know that there are other similarly big assets that I can place on top of this in the UV space. In the previous trim assets I had made in the post above I still had some space left but not enough to squeeze this one in.
    Name:  UV_Space.PNG
Views: 275
Size:  13.1 KB

Generally I use Xnormal to bake down assets. I could just export these two already as they are and let Xnormal generate me a cage file but seeing as it wouldn't take me more than a minute to generate it myself I decided to add the cageing process to this post still. I clone the lowpoly asset and add a small push modifier on it. Pushing all the vertices outwards capturing both low and highpoly asset within. Throwing an edit poly modifier on top of it to manually edit some vertices into better places and making sure no leaks remain I then exported the three meshes into xnormal.
    Name:  Cage.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  19.0 KB

By now the baking is done, I set it to give me an AO map and both tangent and world space normals. I'll add one more image as last with the mesh using the AO as diffuse and tangent normals. I'm not going to create any detail textures for this mesh yet until I have the other assets making use of the UV space left empty. Here is the final lowpoly piece in 3DSM twice to also show that I've deleted those unnecessary loops that would just add up as extra polys.
    Name:  final.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  46.4 KB

That's pretty much my asset workflow, at least in this case. Lets see yours

A small micro update where a few new assets define the lobby of our hotel. The stairs in their current state probably wouldn't get approved safe but fear not, the railing is next in line.

Name:  Lobby.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  43.0 KB
    High quality image -> http://i.imgur.com/gEixJlE.png

I regret to not have had enough time at my hands to put more effort and work into this entry but I've had so much happen in the last few weeks.

The studio team that me and my teammate are working under has gone public and we are crowdfunding our studio and the two games we've been busy with. I'm going to do some very shameless advertising here as we definitely could use more awareness of our products. Currently we are working on two mobile games.

The first one, Blub, is an endless runner that will bring ocean and river welfare awareness in the form of our game as the environments will be made to resemble those that are the worst in our world such as Ganges River or the North Atlantic Gyre. Though we will also make beautiful environments to show what nature could be like if kept clean.

Our second game is all about story and adventure as the player takes a role in one of three factions, The Purrates, Imperial Pugs or the Mizetecs. These factions of cats, dogs and mice try to live with one another but as in real life they can't always co-exist and sometimes wars emerge. The player has the option to change the tides of these wars through his own action. We give the player the choice to define how the game is played, either in war or peaceful trade.

Please check out our campaign for more detailed info!
    http://igg.me/at/sowrongstudios

Now, onwards to my update that IS relevant to the contest. We as a team have decided that since we fell far behind our schedule that we will only be focusing anymore on finishing up the interior that we are working on. So unfortunately there wont be an exterior that we could make in time. Our hotel interior will include the reception, lounge, library, bar and restaurant area. We were planning to add two rooms, which are called the junior suite and the character suite and these are still up to debate it we have the time to complete them, regardless we will have the full interior decorated and filled with detailed furniture!

Here is some of the screengrabs from UE4 at this moment of the interior. We'll be focusing on filling the place up with additional props and lighting from this point on to make it feel more lively.

Name:  Hallway.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  55.0 KB

Name:  Untitled5.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  55.6 KB

Name:  Restaurant.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  59.4 KB

Name:  Restaurant2.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  59.8 KB

Name:  stairs2.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  61.6 KB

Name:  Stairs_3.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  53.6 KB

Name:  stairs4.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  57.5 KB

Name:  Props1.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  19.1 KB

And one last image as I managed to reach the maximum of 8 attachments in one post.

Name:  props2.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  20.9 KB

Just a little bit longer!

Both myself and Cookielord have been busy and will keep on working hard on our entry. Both of us have learned a lot from the last three months. Had our crowdfunding campaign not collided with this we might have had the time to compete for the grand prizes but alas we didn't have the time at our hands to invest into this awesome challenge.

Heres a few more work in progress screengrabs. One more day of adding assets into the scene and then on the last day we'll set the scene atmosphere and mood. Still planning to push as much content into our interior scene as possible!

Name:  wip1.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  68.2 KB

Name:  wip2.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  60.2 KB

Name:  wip3.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  64.5 KB

For when you complete...

Please make it official by entering this here as well - http://ronenbkr.mn/thevineyardsubmit

Good luck!

So the contest is over but our work on our entry wont stop here. Unfortunately me and my partner were not able to complete this in time. Nonetheless we found this challenge very educative as we've not had previous experience in architectural visualization. The last week has been very hectic for us two as we worked very long hours to try and finish as much as possible.

Some of the props in our entry did not get textured in time nor were we able to move towards the exterior of the hotel. Without much knowledge of arch viz we didn't know all the workflows of creating assets and environments. Having had game development education we started with the workflow and pipeline that was familiar to us and that took a lot of time away from us in the beginning. Now for future reference we know much better and could probably do the same result in much less time as well.

Thank you for the opportunity to participate in the challenge, its been an awesome time working on this.

Name:  SWS_BelaVista_1.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  59.4 KB

Name:  SWS_BelaVista_2.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  66.0 KB

Name:  SWS_BelaVista_3.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  59.2 KB

Name:  SWS_BelaVista_4.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  59.6 KB