Clicky

Team : MG2 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Team : MG2

Note to future self: do NOT try to model a Beaux-Arts style building if your documentation is poor.

Name:  Revit.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  91.4 KB

Good news, though: we finally made it into Unreal!

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  61.4 KB
    Name:  HighresScreenshot00000.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  75.9 KB

We've reduced the scope of our project a bit to just using the inside of these two buildings. Our elevated vineyards will span between them and also go up as a ramp in the center area of the station for use as circulation.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We've made steady progress on the design of the vineyard and laying out the spaces around the station. Our main building design cutoff was yesterday, and now we're going to focus on getting all the detailed parts of our design done, creating textures, and all the furniture.

Name:  Revit_Axon.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  69.3 KB

For our ground floor, the original train station, we will be putting shops, restaurants, and stores in to bring the space back to it's designed purpose.
    Name:  Revit_Ground.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  112.7 KB
    Name:  Retail.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  62.8 KB

A new set of stairs will run from the location of the existing tracks and former platforms up to the second floor. Our hotel reception and visitor center will be beyond.
    Name:  Revit_Lobby.png
Views: 264
Size:  112.5 KB
    Name:  Reception.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  62.1 KB

The hotel itself inhabits the two sides of the station's upper section. In the middle is our winery.
    Name:  Revit_WineryHotel.png
Views: 268
Size:  68.7 KB

Our winery design places the winemaking process on 11 floors in the center. Starting from the top, each floor going down is used for the next step to make wine (destemming, crushing, fermentation, aging, etc.). A ramp runs between the floors and a central elevator with glass sides allows views of the process for visitors.
    Name:  Circulation.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  39.4 KB

Across a wide walkway, in neighboring Roosevelt warehouse, our spa provides a place of seclusion, away from the activity of the main station.

Our final program area pays tribute to the former use of Roosevelt Warehouse. Before it caught fire and was abandoned, it served as a book depository for Detroit Public Schools. We will be adding an educational lab to the warehouse where visitors can try making their own wine or learn about tasting.
    Name:  Revit_Edu.png
Views: 277
Size:  190.2 KB

I'll be tweaking the lighting and shadow settings over the weekend. Hopefully we'll have more (better) shots within the next few days.
    Last edited by dawerner; 08-15-2015 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Re-uploading images which disappeared

Hi dawerner, I can't seem to see the pictures from your last post, maybe something wrong with attachment? The hotel picture from the earlier post looks grand, good job!

That's strange, they were working last night after I posted. I re-uploaded most of the images that disappeared, but there seems to be a new 8 image limit to posts.

Edit - Here is the missing image from the spa:
    Name:  Revit_Spa.png
Views: 262
Size:  156.1 KB
    Last edited by dawerner; 08-15-2015 at 01:58 PM.

So... Autodesk Infraworks sure is a thing.

Name:  Infraworks.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  81.2 KB

Essentially what the program does is it allows me to import a ton of different data sets from USGS, openstreetmap.org, etc., scale them all to the same size, put them in the same location, then model roads, bridges, buildings, and other site components, and finally export it all to FBX. Using it, we were very quickly and easily able to generate a 3D model of Detroit. We then used 3DS Max to generate a heightmap of the result from the USGS data and created a terrain in Unreal from it.

Name:  TerrainHeightmap.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  45.2 KB
    Name:  Capture2.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  80.0 KB

Here's a shot from one of the future hotel rooms:
    Name:  Capture1.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  40.3 KB

And another one from our spa:
    Name:  Capture3.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  28.4 KB

Ideally this would have been a first step in creating our model, where we generated the site then took it into Revit. Unfortunately, I didn't discover we had licenses for Infraworks until a couple weeks ago. Oh well.
    Last edited by dawerner; 08-22-2015 at 04:35 AM.

Cool program, I'm researching possible ways to quickly generate roads/towns, so thanks for tip Do you know by chance other town generators? Also, how do you UVmap buildings?

For your work, try water from Unreal water material demo, it has setting that makes water almost non-repetitive/non-tiling pattern when zoomed out

Yeah, I used the quick and easy method of applying the starter asset ocean material and pumping the UV scale up so that hopefully the tiling went away. I guess it didn't work if you noticed. I'm downloading the water demo right now, though.

If you're trying to recreate an existing city or town (e.g. Detroit) with lots of terrain variation, then Infraworks is definitely the way to go. It's specifically designed for creating an accurate 3D model of the site for a future construction project, then adding proposals for civil improvements like new roads, paths, stoplights, or trees. We used it since our Vineyard will be placed in a real, currently existing building and doing this way is much faster than trying to model everything ourselves in a more generic program.

On the other hand, if you want to create a mostly flat city of your own design I would recommend 3D Studio Max. Autodesk uploaded a very good tutorial series a while back to Youtube on their 3DS Max learning chanel which includes some additional resources for creating cityscapes relatively quickly: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...lBSjiy42YVZ86K. Since you're (theoretically) not working with real-world terrain, you may find Infraworks's workflow to be more of a hindrance in this case, at least for getting started.
    Last edited by dawerner; 08-22-2015 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Added link to tutorial

This is amazingly intricate work. It will be nice to see the finished cityscape through the hotel windows. I also enjoy the locomotive theme. Keep it up.

Good morning, ronenbekerman.com!
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  50.8 KB

Let's go check on the progress of our Vineyard.
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  52.9 KB

Walt had a great idea to utilize the (unused) existing tracks outside the station for growing our grape plants. We're going to be bending the rails upwards and running cables between them, then putting a few feet of growth medium underneath for the vines to grow on top of the platform.

Meanwhile, Cindy's been hard at work with a major remodel of the current station.
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  90.3 KB

All of the glass houses the winery and program areas, with ramps allowing workers to go from one floor to another. We're still keeping a small section of the fašade in the center.
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  59.6 KB

Our ground floor retail area is getting the final design touches from Matt. Most of our work during the past two weeks included the furniture and plants. We're going to be focusing on lighting during the next few days and adding other things to make the spaces seem slightly livelier than the station's current, abandoned state.
    Name:  5.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  90.7 KB

A few lights make a huge difference.
    Name:  Capture1.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  91.0 KB
    Name:  Capture2.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  78.0 KB

This past week, our team's been hard at work putting in more of the furniture, equipment, plants, lights, and other touches. We've been keeping a good pace so far, but there's a lot of work left to do.
    Name:  Capture4.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  95.9 KB

A recent addition to our Vineyard: a penthouse wine bar. It's a couple floor below the roof. Not pictured: the grape plants which will grow on that walkway above.
    Name:  Capture5.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  70.6 KB

For a while, I've been attempting to use an Unreal landscape for our site and match the roads to it, but it was impossible to line up correctly and even then the resolution made it look wrong. I instead elected to import the terrain model from Infraworks and apply aerial imagery of Detroit to it. It's still off slightly but far better than before.
    Name:  Capture6.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  88.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by dawerner; 09-10-2015 at 04:59 AM.

Getting down to the last few days and we're hard at work taking fixing everything. We have our final video sequence in matinee and I've lost track of the number of times we've watched the sequence identifying things to change. At this point, it's mostly down to tweaking the materials and lighting to get our entry looking as good as some of your entries I've seen on the forums the past few days.

We still have yet to do a production quality lighting build or set our building lightmap uvs higher than the defaults. All of our video previews and screenshots up to this point have used preview quality. I'm a bit nervous what's going to happen when I do that since nothing like this has ever been done before with our company's equipment and I already managed to make one computer overheat a few times. Luckily I've had some success getting the Swarm client set up on several teammates machines.

When you finish... Please make it official by entering this here as well - http://ronenbkr.mn/thevineyardsubmit

final deadline is set to September 15th, 23:59 SST Midway Atoll Time, UTC/GMT-11

Good luck!