Clicky

TEAM : Work - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TEAM : Work

Looking really good man! Great start! Can only imagine the nightmare your having lining things up

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hi everyone :) Its been about 3 weeks since our last post. We've been spending our time finding references, modelling, setting up blueprints and coming up with a good lighting workflow. We're pleased with the progress we've made and will be posting more frequently now :) It's also really cool to see how the rest of the entries are progressing.

We're attaching a link to the animatic for our hotel room... our entire scene setup for the room is based on what's in view of the camera, we don't want to waste time on assets that won't make it into shots. We've decided to apply this workflow to the entire project, which may seem like common sense but we realised we were wasting time on things that had a 50/50 chance of being in shot.

HOTEL ROOM ANIMATIC

We're very excited about our lighting setup, it's a little messy at the moment so we won't show anything until we feel we've got it right :) Apart from lighting references in photo's we've been looking at Alex Roman, Peter Guthrie and Bertrand Benoit articles and workflows trying to dissect what makes a render look believable.

Hello again so we've spent a lot of time working on a lighting solution that would work well in an interior setting as well as outside. First we experimented with Nvidia's VXGI http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/vxgi, then Lionhead's LPV system http://www.lionhead.com/blog/2014/ap...fable-legends/ and also Ryan's AHR implementation https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ive-plugin-AHR. They all showed great promise but we felt the tech in each instance was too unstable to be used reliably, so we have reverted back to using lightmass for out lighting. I'd highly recommend playing around with a few custom builds of ue4 to check out the dynamic GI systems though

We've begun the move over to unreal to setup our animatic, test lighting scenarios and check assets and we're pretty happy with the progress so far. Here's the first version of our hotel room animatic. Some assets are still placeholders but it's slowly coming together

comments and crits welcome

Here's a wip of our vineyard setup so far - just using content from the kite demo as a placeholder for now
    Name:  vineyard1 copy.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  48.8 KB
    Name:  vineyard2 copy.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  54.5 KB
    Name:  vineyard3 copy.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  79.3 KB

Here are some lighting test progressions:
    Name:  lightingTest_001 copy.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  24.8 KB
    Name:  lighting001.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  34.7 KB
    Name:  lighting003.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  30.9 KB

Here's our exterior restaurant area leading up to the spa section:
    Name:  modeling_wip9 copy.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  34.6 KB
    Name:  modeling_wip13 copy.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  39.2 KB

sorry for the long post

cheers for now!

This is very good progress, and don't worry about the long post cause I enjoy looking at them! I think all of us are looking into different lighting systems in UE4. So far the lightmass is the most stable and common choice for members of this forum. However, there are constantly updates from Ryan and Nvidia, so just maybe their systems will be optimize enough soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesycg View Post
    This is very good progress, and don't worry about the long post cause I enjoy looking at them! I think all of us are looking into different lighting systems in UE4. So far the lightmass is the most stable and common choice for members of this forum. However, there are constantly updates from Ryan and Nvidia, so just maybe their systems will be optimize enough soon.
    Hey thanks for the feedback we'll try post more regularly, its hard to find time with demanding day jobs though :P yeah the gameworks thread https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...gration/page50 is really active and a great way to keep up to date with Nvidia's integrations with UE4 and Ryan's progress is mindblowing! I saw a post there recently that he's pushing for 4.8 integration by the end of August but that seems to be cutting it a bit close for this challenge

But after seeing the inspirational work from Koola with Lightmass, we decided that was the way to go

Just a quick update Been hard at work on the passage and bar areas. Here's the current animatic for the hotel passage:

Will have more on the bar area shortly

This is all looking so great. The lighting in the hotel room is really excellent.

Here's our bar animatic. Still modelling one or two props, we should have something in UE shortly

Quote Originally Posted by Spritz View Post
    This is all looking so great. The lighting in the hotel room is really excellent.
    Thanks Spritz took a lot of trial and error to get to that point but we're pretty happy with the result. Running into a few lighting issues in our other areas though - coming from a VRay background it would be great if there were more settings to control Lightmass in the engine without having to start digging though the .ini file...

Quote Originally Posted by leftright View Post
    Thanks Spritz took a lot of trial and error to get to that point but we're pretty happy with the result. Running into a few lighting issues in our other areas though - coming from a VRay background it would be great if there were more settings to control Lightmass in the engine without having to start digging though the .ini file...
    I hear ya! I find that reflectors work quite well (and then you just set them to hidden in-game). I'm finding the biggest challenge is creating the UV map on the second channel just for lighting, as that was not part of my previous workflow: but separating the pieces out on the UV does give much cleaner lighting with less unexpected results. I'm also using a "hide the bad parts" technique where I just use a beam, molding, or whatever other detail can sit in front of an area where the lightmap just isn't working well (ie: if you have a really large mesh that is lighting oddly at the edges).

Bar animatic looks great. Keep it up!

Here's a sneak peak of the passage area in ue4. Still early stages but its starting to take form! Trying to get light through small windows is proving to be tougher than I had hoped and the lighting is very splotchey in some areas so still lots to fix

Name:  passageLighting_001.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  21.3 KB
    Name:  passageLighting_003.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  32.9 KB

thanks for the uv tips Spritz!

cheers!

That lighting came out great! The spotchiness will be masked quite a bit by the materials you use... this is really starting to have that that "is that a render or a photo?" look. Awesome.