Name:  xoio_vineyard.jpg
Views: 1695
Size:  51.7 KB

maybe also interesting - some of our references:

http://daniellawitte.elledecoration.se/varm-minimalism/
    https://www.homify.de/ideenbuecher/3...en-zwei-seiten
    http://www.minimalisti.com/architect...rbishment.html
    http://archinspire.org/manor-farm-ba...se-conversion/
    Last edited by lasse1309; 06-26-2015 at 11:38 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

nice concept studies & references. the references seem to have almost a bleach-bypass effect going on. do you think this is something you might incorporate into your materials or post processing?

really interesting concept guys, Looking forward to seeing that come to life in ue4 I was also interested, do you guys use a custom BaseLightmass.ini file for baking out the lighting in UE4?

thanks guys!

@psyb0rg

well I really like the varm minimalist behind the first link, the materials and roughness.. wrinkles; i am not sure yet, but i think this would be a post-pro thing. the post pro volumesin unreal might be a good way to enhance certain moods in certain situations by colour grading etc..

@leftright
    the lightmass... hm - found out the dynamic lighting works pretty awesome in exterior situation with foliage systems. not so good in the interior. wonder how to bring these two together? could be good challenge
    the ini tweaks work good especially on small scenes, large scenes would explode in render time.
    factory setting in "production" quality might already result in loooong time, so "enhancing" the .ini can lead to
    eternal rendering

there are some tweaks you can do in the settings in the scene to enhance quality, theres a screenshot of the settings in the article i wrote for this blog http://www.ronenbekerman.com/strivin...visualisation/ - just approximately in the middle under "lightmass"..
    it is the "indirectlightingsmoothnes" which is - if i am not wrong - important for "good" shadows. not sure whether the setting is still there in UE 4.8, but should be similar (haven't checked yet)

all the best
    Lasse
    Last edited by lasse1309; 06-26-2015 at 06:13 PM.

Thanks for the info Lasse, really useful workflow info!

Yeah we were thinking the same thing regarding exterior vs interior lighting considerations. It would be really useful to be able to link those lightmass settings to volumes to calculate different parts of the scene with different settings!

cheers
    Richard

did some tech-research yesterday and learned a lot of stuff!

- the grass scattering system, really awesome!
    here is how this works:
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...t/3/index.html

Name:  grass.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  50.7 KB

- dynamic subdivision that tesselates objects the closer the camera gets.
    together with a displacement this is super to opmimize the scene
    tutorial on this i found on youtube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iadBjWDlOnU

Name:  mesh_dense.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  30.9 KB
    comic sans ftw

- a rock shader that grows moss on the upside, dynamically changing when rotating the object. also uses dynamic tesselation and displacement

- a gravelshader that uses both dynamic tesselation and displacement
    Name:  rock_gravel.jpg
Views: 1016
Size:  127.3 KB
    Name:  rock_material.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  84.5 KB

all the best
    l

Hi here!
    Thanks for sharing infos, the shader graph seems specially tricky but interesting for newcomers to UE that we are
    All the best,
    -S- SF Team

vinesssssss
    Name:  HighresScreenshot00000.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  88.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by lasse1309 View Post
    the lightmass... hm - found out the dynamic lighting works pretty awesome in exterior situation with foliage systems. not so good in the interior. wonder how to bring these two together? could be good challenge
    the ini tweaks work good especially on small scenes, large scenes would explode in render time.
    factory setting in "production" quality might already result in loooong time, so "enhancing" the .ini can lead to
    eternal rendering
    Hey man...really love you guys work so far! Sadly...I have bad news for you regarding the lighting I tried the same thing as well...multiple times and I also have email contact to Daniel Wright from Epic who is programming the distance field lighting features...and sadly, it is not technically possible right now to combine distance field lighting techniques with baked lighting.

I wanted to do it like that as well...basically use baked lighting on the building and dynamic lighting for the environment and foliage. But yeah...its not working. What I am trying to do now is split the landscape into multiple streaming levels and landscape proxies and bake them seperately. I have a very small piece of landscape now with the building on it and it computes quite fast even with static lighting scale set to 0.5, indirect quality at 4, smoothness at 0.65 and 100 indirect bounces.

If everything fails...I will still use dynamic lighting for the foliage, but without all the distance field shadowing. It will look flat and boring, but I hope to compensate for that with using a vertex baked ambient occlusion. Lets see how things will go

Cheers!
    Last edited by Daedalus51; 07-04-2015 at 06:49 PM.
    Technical Lighting and Shader Artist @YAGER Development

Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus51 View Post
    Hey man...really love you guys work so far! Sadly...I have bad news for you regarding the lighting I tried the same thing as well...multiple times and I also have email contact to Daniel Wright from Epic who is programming the distance field lighting features...and sadly, it is not technically possible right now to combine distance field lighting techniques with baked lighting.

I wanted to do it like that as well...basically use baked lighting on the building and dynamic lighting for the environment and foliage. But yeah...its not working. What I am trying to do now is split the landscape into multiple streaming levels and landscape proxies and bake them seperately. I have a very small piece of landscape now with the building on it and it computes quite fast even with static lighting scale set to 0.5, indirect quality at 4, smoothness at 0.65 and 100 indirect bounces.

If everything fails...I will still use dynamic lighting for the foliage, but without all the distance field shadowing. It will look flat and boring, but I hope to compensate for that with using a vertex baked ambient occlusion. Lets see how things will go

Cheers!
    hehe, yes thats really bad news.. but honestly i found the dist field to much flickering.. hm the lightmass would be fine! mayber with streaming one can load different quality solutions together - high res for the house and mid-reas for all the landscape stuff, we will see! i have zero experience with this, so it is time to learn!

what i really like about this challenge is you get to learn all the stuff you avoided all the time. I learnt a lot about blueprinting yesterday when i "doodled" this parametric vineyard (there has been a post on the web with a procedural vineyard, so i had to try myself..) - right now it has vines, the pergola and grass in between the lines of vine, parametric density, jitter, random scalling - and the best: it automatically adapts to the landscape. took me a bit to get my head around this, but honestly, i am a bit proud:

Name:  scatter.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  93.8 KB
    visual scripting how it is not done :-P

Name:  vineyard_parametric.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  98.1 KB

the vineyard consits of boxes as placeholders. i am curious how this works with heavier geometry ---> will check tomorrow when i get to my main-machine with the foliage on it..

Fabian also did some sketching - here one of the concepts for the landscape:

Name:  Concept_Landscape.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  57.1 KB

all the best

xoio

Quote Originally Posted by lasse1309 View Post

Name:  scatter.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  93.8 KB
    visual scripting how it is not done :-P

I like the comments though
    Technical Lighting and Shader Artist @YAGER Development

well, did not find out how to change them- though the grouping helps to not lose oversight completely trying to understand this kind of stuff few weeks later is always very hard for me, maybe I should find out how to change the captions :P