Clicky

Hadar Silverman
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hadar Silverman

Default Hadar Silverman

Looking forward to learning about technique throughout this forum, process, and overall endeavor.
    Really enjoy real-time engines, wine culture and the natural (or unnatural?) landscapes for agriculture.
    Have been brainstorming some ideas/designs:

Name:  IMG_2951.jpg
Views: 11376
Size:  157.1 KB

not sure how this sketch will evolve, or will lead to other sketches, but i suppose that's part of the fun...

2015/06/16
    Had a chance to sketch a few things in the evening. Taking a look at a quick world terrain build if I decide to take a more traditional or realistic approach.

Site 01:
    Name:  Site_option01_small.png
Views: 1573
Size:  560.5 KB
    site option 01 fits nicely into a few ridges on the built-side of things, but the vineyards would exist in some air-locked land so this approach may not be the best choice, although i guess it depends on the type of grape preferred. the orientation of everything also implies south is the left or upper left of the image. scale is a bit of a problem here given the size of the erosion, but general altitude seems to work minimizing shadow on the land. caving would also be really expensive here. no one likes digging through rock.

Site 02:
    Name:  Site_option2_small.png
Views: 1563
Size:  425.2 KB
    site option 2 makes a lot more sense the more i think about it. wind patterns would be good for the grapes, south is implied to the bottom of the image and caves could exist in the upper left of the image toward the edge of the rock face allowing backfill from grading to help build up the cave into the mountain side rather than dig through rock. only drawback here would be soil stabilization, but that's a little more manageable. scale also works much better.

the time put into this project will be really fragmented, so the resulting submission will probably appear as such.

2015/06/17
    lunchtime sketch work. this is scribbling of a retaining wall at the entrance to a wine cave the form of which is inspired by a grape harvesting knife...
    Name:  retainingWall.jpg
Views: 1535
Size:  239.3 KB

2015/06/18
    probably not gonna get a chance to work on this project for a couple days, so before the hiatus, tried to crank out the retaining wall / cave entrance in UE4. here are a couple shots from the process:
    Name:  retainingWallProcess_01.jpg
Views: 1497
Size:  100.6 KB
    Name:  retainingWallProcess_02_small.jpg
Views: 1495
Size:  276.0 KB
    and a brief movie cap...basic observations or 'to-do' list in the comments of the youtube video:
    https://youtu.be/ZNuM7sPIXHA

2015/06/19
    more lunchtime sketch work. wine cave design inspired by 'cerebro meets ironforge'
    Name:  IMG_3024.jpg
Views: 1468
Size:  112.2 KB
    will hopefully get a chance to start roughing this out next week sometime...

2015/06/21
    exploring fermentation. this piece questions industrialization in wine fermentation with many different implications including production volume, unsupported neoclassical architecture, and a human or droid that may or may not feel.
    Name:  screenshot20150621_a.jpg
Views: 1442
Size:  47.5 KB
    moviecap
    https://youtu.be/akbwlikXCm8
    Last edited by psyb0rg; 06-22-2015 at 03:21 AM. Reason: updates

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by psyb0rg View Post
    Looking forward to learning about technique throughout this forum, process, and overall endeavor.
    Really enjoy real-time engines, wine culture and the natural (or unnatural?) landscapes for agriculture.
    Have been brainstorming some ideas/designs:

Name:  IMG_2951.jpg
Views: 11376
Size:  157.1 KB

not sure how this sketch will evolve, or will lead to other sketches, but i suppose that's part of the fun...
    Indeed it is - Welcome, and great start... keep the, sketches rolling!

Indeed it is - Welcome, and great start... keep the, sketches rolling!
    thanks!

2015/06/21
    wine cave rough-out if i transform the parti into a literal form rather than an implication of hierarchy. subterranean rooms to left, barrel storage to right, access to beach in lower tunnel. still might go a more traditional route, but fun to explore in the meantime.
    Name:  wineCave_rev01.jpg
Views: 1394
Size:  162.1 KB

2015/06/22
    doing some light lunchtime research. found this interesting article about the industrialization of wine:
    http://www.wired.com/2014/04/how-to-...ne-taste-good/

exploring the future of harvesting. one of two ideas built into an animatic:
    https://youtu.be/nIc1XXYh7bc
    a few things i've noticed...
    1 - scope creep. will probably need to reduce the process into about 6 different scenes at around 10 seconds each for the movie
    2 - it's a little misty / dystopian at the moment, so i'll probably need to brighten things up and make everything a little more cheerful given the spirit of winemaking. there is an interesting clash of nature vs industrialization beginning to form and will impact architectural construct. brings to light the argument regarding the quality of the earth and grape vs the chemistry of fermentation.

2015/06/23
    not really going to go into branding for this project, but thought of a slogan to help set the mood.
    Name:  T_slogan.jpg
Views: 1339
Size:  39.2 KB
    a sketch and screenshot from the drone harvester
    Name:  Photo Jun 23, 5 30 15 PM.jpg
Views: 1328
Size:  130.6 KBName:  harvester_20150623_small.jpg
Views: 1316
Size:  251.6 KB
    and the architecture is starting to take shape
    Name:  Photo Jun 23, 5 33 56 PM.jpg
Views: 1284
Size:  142.3 KB

2015/06/25
    continuing the landscape dev by adding some coastal erosion into my previous node network from world machine. a few weeks ago was studying the geology of northern California, so figured i'd try and give it another go for this project. the beach in the lower elevation shot needs some serious re-work, but the connection between the wine cave and the beach might create some interesting architecture.
    [edit - updated landscape photos to consolidate into single image]
    Name:  IMG_3066.jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  180.3 KB

2015/06/28
    transforming some sketch work into mass models for the hotel and tasting. indication of sustainability with vertical axis wind turbines.
    Name:  winery_sketchupViews_composite.jpg
Views: 1206
Size:  50.9 KB

2015/06/29
    looking at the south face of the hotel/hospitality/reception area and a glimpse of the fermentation area nestled into the land behind some retained soil and the vertical axis wind turbines. hotel can be seen in distance from that view.
    Name:  hotel_rev01b.jpg
Views: 1193
Size:  102.4 KB
    Last edited by psyb0rg; 06-29-2015 at 05:12 PM.

2015/06/30
    beginning to site the vineyard and hotel components. looks like this will be the beginning of a pretty long process of virtual cut & fill. have also been working on LOD's for the vineyard, but nothing really worth showing yet. patterns for the vineyard are in process and will somewhat be dependent on appropriate drone glide paths.
    Name:  Photo Jun 30, 12 05 50 AM.jpg
Views: 1207
Size:  124.5 KB

I just loved the drone!

I think your design is very unique among the other projects, however I do not know how I feel about the sketch like filter on your images, I would like to see a more realistic screenshot of the structure and grounds.

I just loved the drone!
    thanks!
    I think your design is very unique among the other projects, however I do not know how I feel about the sketch like filter on your images, I would like to see a more realistic screenshot of the structure and grounds.
    also thanks!, and i hear what you're saying about the sketch form. toward the beginning of process i like to broad-brush everything. a lot of discovery happens, and if i get too realistic too soon, i tend to feel like i miss design opportunities. that, and i've been focusing on a procedural vineyard which will probably be the end of me...but here's a screenshot of the progress anyhow...
    Name:  Vineyard_Procedural_rev04small.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  290.4 KB
    [edit] some friends were asking about a movie capture, so i posted a brief one here:
    https://youtu.be/1RWv7k1sPdE
    Last edited by psyb0rg; 07-02-2015 at 02:37 AM.

Your entry is surprising. Looks like there's an ufo in your vineyard
    Anyway, I think you should improve the trunk of your vine which doesn't look so natural in my opinion.
    Regards,
    -S- SF Team

Quote Originally Posted by coochie View Post
    Your entry is surprising. Looks like there's an ufo in your vineyard
    Anyway, I think you should improve the trunk of your vine which doesn't look so natural in my opinion.
    Regards,
    -S- SF Team
    thanks for the feedback! will look into the vine trunk. i didn't realize there were so many variations of grape vines.

in the meantime, have been working on the wine cave a bit. have a general lighting scheme and central tasting table / benches. per previous comments, will be looking to achieve more realistic lighting in the next pass of things. there's also supposed to be streams of water pouring down the central four cantilevered pillars, but haven't quite got that down yet.
    Name:  wineCave_rev02small.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  166.3 KB

2015/07/04
    more progress on the wine cave
    Name:  wineCaveProgress_rev04.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  161.5 KB
    top shot - a closer look at the barrels. there's a bit of a miscalculation on the barrel racks, but out of time for today, so will have to fix that another day.
    middle shot - view from the central dome looking down onto the tasting area
    lower shot - view from the perimeter of the cave looking across the water toward the central tasting table.
    for this design, am intentionally trying to set scale out of proportion here for kicks.

2015/07/05
    wrapping up the holiday weekend with some work on the fermentation area. have explored different methods of visualizing soil retention and started to layout the fermentation tanks a bit.
    Name:  20150706_fermentation.jpg
Views: 979
Size:  149.8 KB

2015/07/06
    learning more about texture displacement. rather than instantiate thousands of bottles, i've opted to figure out a way to create the wine rack using textures.
    Name:  wineRackScaleExample_small.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  182.1 KB
    some slightly different displacement...
    Name:  wineRackScaleExample_small2.jpg
Views: 967
Size:  137.7 KB

2015/07/07
    reflecting back on overall design, and true to the nature of the process, the winery seems very fragmented and unfortunately doesn't really feel very cohesive. however, now that some content has been developed with isolated stylistic gestures of sorts ( terrain - vineyard - hotel - fermentation - storage cave & tasting), i'm hoping to begin bringing together the fragments. to start this process, a parti sketch in plan and section:
    Name:  PlanSectionParti.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  87.2 KB

[later that night...] after learning more about the procedural foliage system built into landscape materials, i managed to pull something together that drastically improved performance and speed. in this shot, trying to catch that golden glimmer off the tips of the grape leaves when sun sets over the california coast. will hopefully get a silhouette of the winery in the distance for the next pass... on a technical level, having issues with billboard dithering, specularity on leaves, and i still need to clean up the grape vine...
    Name:  Vineyard_Procedural_rev05small.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  183.5 KB

2015/07/08
    had a few minutes to work on the hotel this morning...more sketchup stuff...
    Name:  hotel_rev03.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  54.3 KB
    ...and with periodic down time at work, it's nice to have a focus for random sketching. studying curtain wall design vs floor plate exposure at the hotel...except i can't post any more images on this entry, so will post on the next...
    Last edited by psyb0rg; 07-08-2015 at 06:56 PM. Reason: progress is our most important product!

ran out of space to post this on the previous entry in this thread, so am posting the image here...studying some curtain wall vs plate exposure at the hotel...
    Name:  hotel_rev04.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  137.9 KB

These new progress shots are very beautiful and imaginative I really enjoy the shots inside unreal. I also would like to thank you for your kind critiques on my wip forum post. I look forward to more.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBeeson View Post
    These new progress shots are very beautiful and imaginative I really enjoy the shots inside unreal. I also would like to thank you for your kind critiques on my wip forum post. I look forward to more.
    much appreciated!

2015/07/08
    working a bit more on the hotel. decided to expose the plates a bit to stress the horizontal nature of the building. building a figure/ground image to analyze skyline, and thinking more about fermentation layout...
    Name:  Hotel_rev04small.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  222.3 KB

2015/07/08
    soil retention at a path connecting the hotel with fermentation. you can see a complete mess of a construction site in the background.
    Name:  hotel_rev04dsmall.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  100.2 KB
    Last edited by psyb0rg; 07-09-2015 at 06:06 PM.