Clicky

Hadar Silverman - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hadar Silverman

Quote Originally Posted by buildAV View Post
    I have a question. You mentioned you decide later how to divide the models. Do you have a kind of rule how to scale the lightmap for each segment? Like 2m x 2m requires a lightmap of 128 and bigger segments need a larger lightmap?
    really depends on the fidelity of the shadow you're looking for on a case-by-case basis. for example in the image attached, the left box uses 1024, but the right box uses 64. on dirt, 64 might be ok, and save you lots of build time, but on concrete, the 1024 would be nice to see the edges of the object casting the shadow.

Name:  shadowComp_01.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  88.5 KB

probably not a very good answer, so i guess the rule of thumb is really more about how important that shadow will be in the scene.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I think this is a very helpful answer. The image explains it very good. Thank you.

now that most of the site and buildings have been blocked out, beginning to implement (and learn) computational design. I've fallen a little behind in this realm of things, so will be studying workflow from dynamo to ue4. the challenges i've had in the past with this is primarily dealing with curtain wall systems import/export, so it will be interesting to see how that works out in this case. here's a first pass at bringing dynamo into revit. the origin of the shape/profile section is from the original hotel floor plate concept.

Name:  20150804_comp.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  117.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by psyb0rg View Post
    really depends on the fidelity of the shadow you're looking for on a case-by-case basis. for example in the image attached, the left box uses 1024, but the right box uses 64. on dirt, 64 might be ok, and save you lots of build time, but on concrete, the 1024 would be nice to see the edges of the object casting the shadow.

Name:  shadowComp_01.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  88.5 KB

probably not a very good answer, so i guess the rule of thumb is really more about how important that shadow will be in the scene.
    I found using the Lightmap density view mode worked really well when i've created lightmaps before. It gives you a visual cue as to whether your lightmap on an object has too high, too low or ideal texel density. If you use it as a guide to break up your model you can get very good and quite fast (depending on your machine spec) lightmap calculations. This is the link to the documentation page:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...des/index.html

This is what the range looks like in UE

Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  36.2 KB

hope that helps.

I found using the Lightmap density view mode worked really well when i've created lightmaps before. It gives you a visual cue as to whether your lightmap on an object has too high, too low or ideal texel density. If you use it as a guide to break up your model you can get very good and quite fast (depending on your machine spec) lightmap calculations. This is the link to the documentation page:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...des/index.html

This is what the range looks like in UE

Untitled-1.jpg

hope that helps.
    this is really helpful, thanks Paul. i've used some of the visualizer stuff for VR projects, but all to often overlook these tools before it's too late.

on the development front:
    delving into parametrics has been educational, but not sure how far I will take it into this project. the forms coming out of it are pretty interesting, but integrating it into the decentralized site design makes it seem really out of place. depending on time, may look into this a little further, but in the meantime, have started zooming into the hotel/spa configuration to work out some of the details & programmtic connections beyond a general massing.

Name:  20150805_comp1a.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  222.2 KB

2015/08/11
    some progress on the fermentation area, and still testing different strategies for the vine LOD's. also planning some of the shots for the submission in the process. coming into the final stretch so hoping to figure out a solution soon.

Name:  20150811_01.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  173.2 KB

Name:  20150811_02.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  47.0 KB

Name:  20150811_03.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  45.8 KB

some late evening updates on two of the shots. for vineyard vista, have improved distant LOD, but transition still needs work for video. for the fermentation area, have used parallax occlusion for the grating.

Name:  20150811_05.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  516.0 KB

Name:  20150811_04.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  429.5 KB
    Last edited by psyb0rg; 08-12-2015 at 03:12 AM.

some hotel randomness. trying to figure out the relationship between the hotel core and the floor plates. the first option works well and exposes an enormous amount of the facade to the ocean view. the second option seems counter-intuitive, but somehow seems like it could work as well. maybe if the core had a slimmer profile. associated with these models are the view from a pool looking up. staring at the sky while floating in a pool is really therapeutic. so this relationship of core/floor-plate plays a role in determining how much architecture should really be in that view.

Name:  20150813_01.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  84.6 KB

decided to go with the hotel core on the west face exposed to the sea side. it's a counter intuitive approach, but somehow seems to work best with the other geometry in the model from a variety of viewpoints. here's a view from one of the walkways on the south part of the building site. also decided to go with a horizontally oriented board formed concrete for the core of the facility with a parged concrete soffit treatment for many other parts of the facility. buiding vine growth is starting to give the structure some age.

Name:  20150814_01.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  117.0 KB

and another shot closer to the roots looking up at the hotel core. the board formed concrete can also be seen here, but i'm still trying to get a rougher feel to it. seems a little flat at the moment.

Name:  20150814_02.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  134.9 KB
    Last edited by psyb0rg; 08-14-2015 at 10:43 PM.

working on the design of the fire pit area located at the entry to the wine cave, and nestled into the middle of a rock garden.

Name:  20150822_01b.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  334.6 KB

some standard assets here: fire is from starter content, chairs and hammock from 3d warehouse, but trellis and vinework I created. generally this image seems a little out of place with the rest of the architecture, but i think a revamped trellis design might help make it fit in a bit better. and so far i've generally been drawn to working on the outdoor stuff (other than wine cave), so hoping to finally do an interior or two in the near future since we've only got a few weeks left.

in either case, definitely want to fix the tiling texture and texture stretching in this image.
    Last edited by psyb0rg; 08-22-2015 at 08:47 PM.

Love the look of this so far....keep it up man!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thomboross View Post
    Love the look of this so far....keep it up man!!!
    thanks @thomboross!

working on the hotel interiors to be able to submit a couple shots or camera pans of this area. in the process of fitting out the first floor interior, I decided to make an operable NanaWall. the first approach was to use an IK HD solver with joint constraints, but that effort failed pretty bad, so i ended up using wired parameters. ultimately, i'd like to figure out the IK solver for this system at some point.

https://youtu.be/tBrGlbU0d74

Hopped back into the animatic work tonight to really nail down what's going to be in the camera or not. since a lot of the props are pulled from 3d warehouse, i'm going to focus more on the overall architecture, and how the building engages the land. the earlier animatics have been helpful as a preliminary way to determine a general feel for progression, but most likely scrapping the raindrop idea for a lot of reasons mostly related to scope creep. anyhow, here are a few frames from the cutscene work including the obligatory staring at the sun shot :P Earlier humor aside, i'll probably name the vineyard 'Three Winds Winery' or something along the lines of that (there are a bunch of real wineries with similar names, so i'll have to do more research before i settle on this name).

Name:  20150824_compA.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  261.4 KB

[edit] yep, there's definitely a three winds winery according to the interwebs, so still looking for a name...
    Last edited by psyb0rg; 08-25-2015 at 04:17 AM.

Wow already looking like a solid visualization! then to thing that we just started. We have a lot of getting up to do! nice job.
    Company Website: Goldviz.nl