Clicky

Shell Modifier Problems

Thread: Shell Modifier Problems

Default Shell Modifier Problems

I am a sketchup user who is switching to 3ds max for modeling. I am following tutorials on digitaltutors.com and have found a workflow using lines then adding extrude modifier then adding edit poly followed by a shell modifer to creat the thickness for walls. When I create the geometry all walls near the corners are angled. All of the vertexes are welded and i cannot figure out the problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

To start with, I'm a SketchUP user and 3dsmax user for a long time now and would never use 3dsmax to do what you show here - SketchUP for modeling that wins each time!

That said.

I would not use shell for what you describe here. Shell is good for surfaces without too much articulation in them (architecture context)

I would set the lines of the walls > convert to poly > use inset to define the wall thickness (inwards) > use extrude to pull the walls up to their height.

Makes sense to you?

That Said...

USE SKETCHUP

RB

Hi,
    But to avoid further problems with the shell modifier, there is a option at the bottom of the settings panel tha says "Straighten Corners".

Have a nice day!

In the shell modifier there is an option called Straighten Corners. That should do the trick.