Clicky

Anyone here uses Vue xStream?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here uses Vue xStream?

Default Anyone here uses Vue xStream?

Hi,

I'm very interested to know if someone here uses Vue xStream on a daily / regular basis in his pipeline for the creation of landscape and vegetation... more importantly using it inside a native application like 3ds max or Cinema 4d.

Wondering what is the stability and benefits you gain from it as opposed to the other solutions / plugins around.

Cheers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Your Hover challenge was my first real attempt to work in Vue/Max , although I'd bought it a long time ago. At iteration 7.5 my observations may be dated.
    There are issues to the integration with max indeed. The most annoying is, for stability and object placement issues, the inability of saving a file as a max file is huge. I've discovered, for me, the only reliable way is to save the file as a vue file from max. Doing this allows you to open the file in Max and maintains the positions of objects, but, you have to set up the lights each and every time when you bring it back into Max if you close the application. Importing objects should only be done through the Vue menu, and mods to them done in the native Vue.
    I really like the procedural terrains that can be made in Vue. As well as the environments and placing vegetation elements, and the mods that can be done.
    Although for arch vis, I still fall back to using max and vray, for imaginary images I think Vue rocks. Clouds and sky elements are really nice once you get past the learning curve which is very steep, and tutorials are few and far between, so, lots of trial and error. Spectral sky, like procedural terrains, offer a lot of control for specific desires. Again, mods to the function editor can only be done in the native Vue app. It crashes my machine EVERY time if I try to change them while in Max.
    Just for fun, I'm including a WIP (a nightmare image) for the current CGChallenge XXVI Dreamscape that I'm working on.
    I don't have many plugins as my world is more involved with administration and my work in arch viz is from my love of the creative process. I'll likely upgrade to a more recent Vue ASAP to take advantage of Vray, and I've a long list of max plugins that I want as soon as the bank account fattens up once again.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Just my 2 pences.

Firstly i was really impressed by numerous examples done in Vue, such a "Pirates of Carribean" etc. But pushing hard on it I realize that it doesn't work for me in my day by day work.

I found that I'll never do in Vue better environments than the real photos do. Doing matte painting in post is really faster and the result is much more impressive.

I read Making of the Kumu, Art Museum of Estonia by Viktor Fretyán, and have discovered that he was using matte painting for the landscape. But, to be honest, I know personally some guys who use Vue very frequently, Vue + Cinema4D... And they are good.

Stability might be totally platform dependent and not in the core of xStream.

In 3ds max it is a very poor performer for me... I really just use it for doing skydomes now... never really found the tree quality that good, I much rather use MultiScatter with Onyx / XFrog / GrowFX / or stock trees and plants.

That said...

I would love to have the skies i use inside 3ds max with xStream so i can chane and animate them as i see fit and light the scene that way too. I tried Ozone just for that, but guess what? same stability issues with it too.

I really wish this can work good in some way or another.

I'd very much like to know what iteration that is being used by you folks. Always a consideration is, which version is worthwhile to spend all those $$ for upgrades. I understand that some issues of stabilty have been addressed with the current one, but is it only hyperbole aimed at marketing a new version?
    What I like about Vue, is the animation of plants available. The trade off of quality not withstanding. I see GREAT trees in onyx, but I've never been able to duplicate them. Certainly my mats are a problem. I live in the desert and variety of plants is really thin. I find the GUI of tree storm cumbersome and the restriction from sharing trees a problem.
    I haven't had much experience with xfrog, another of those things on my wish list.

Interesting thread. I've only dabbled with Vue so I can't comment much, but I find it interesting how many comments there are on making hdri's with Vue.

What would be really cool is a separate tool from vue for the sole purpose of making hdri's. Considering the cost of hdri's and how hard it can be to find what you want, it would be a great tool to have.

-brodie

Quote Originally Posted by brodie_geers View Post
    Interesting thread. I've only dabbled with Vue so I can't comment much, but I find it interesting how many comments there are on making hdri's with Vue.

What would be really cool is a separate tool from vue for the sole purpose of making hdri's. Considering the cost of hdri's and how hard it can be to find what you want, it would be a great tool to have.

-brodie
    Well... Ozone, as a mentioned is a subset of Vue and does just what you mention - Skies mainly. I know of Dreamscape too by sitnisati, but that is rather old and perhaps outdated by now?

Anyway... Ozone is not so stable for me either.

Default oh hai

hey guys.
    i have been using vue every now and then for experimenting since 2 years or so. I only used the standalone version in conjunction with sketchup especially since e-on software released a sketchup2vue exporter. The only tutorials, but a big bunch of them, i found on geekatplay(dot)com. they really got everything for the standalone app there. this should quite easily be adapted to the plugged-in version. the tree quality i think can be quite good especially with good lighting.

kcolcleugh

Default Vue Rendering

I have used vue on a few jobs, always in conjunction with 3ds max. You definitely require a powerful system to get efficient results. vue 9 looks more promising and stable than previous versions. I do agree with the comments in the forum that at clo, the vegetation doesn't always stand up. The terrain generation is amazing however and some of the ecosystem materials really wonderful.
    A little photoshop help and it can look very convincing. Attaching is one of the renderings.

That's nice kcolcleugh. Just curious, what exactly do you mean by "powerful system"?

Also, could you share more images?

I too am thinking about giving Vue xStream a try for environments within Max.

Have you tried it yet Ronen?

Just noticed this thread. I jumped into Vue xStream at version 7.5 and Ozone before that, haven't yet played with the latest version so my opinion may be obsolete but here it is anyway.

xStreams integration into max is pretty good and I found it pretty stable but I would attribute the occasional crash to it. I worked with vegetation/terrain now and then but I found it often easier to work that end of it in Vue stand alone then bring it into Max once I had things pretty well laid out. Especially when using the ecoSystem tools etc. Also I was using the Mental Ray integration. The latest version supports Vray but there may be limitations with DBR etc but I'm not sure.

Also the built in plant/tree library is a bit lacking so you have to go out and buy more vue plants via Cornicopia or use the foliage editor to create your own. I wasn't real pleased with that realization.

The sky and water were great though! Ultimately I ended up using Vue mostly for water scenes like these book illustrations I did a couple years ago. These were rendered from within Max using Mental Ray and xStream. The wake is also being generated by xStream dynamically which was pretty cool. Granted it was a bit of a hack to get it to do it. Also these two shots were meant to be more painterly than photo-real so the sky and water colors are tweaked a bit outside their normal settings.
    bakbek likes this.
    Samuel Conlogue
    3D Artist @ Infusion Studios, Inc.
    CGSociety Portfolio
    infusionstudios3d.com
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by bakbek View Post
    Hi,

I'm very interested to know if someone here uses Vue xStream on a daily / regular basis in his pipeline for the creation of landscape and vegetation... more importantly using it inside a native application like 3ds max or Cinema 4d.

Wondering what is the stability and benefits you gain from it as opposed to the other solutions / plugins around.

Cheers.
    Hi,

I use from time to time for works of art, Vue compatible with latest VRay. A very powerful tool.
    Last edited by sinister; 03-07-2012 at 01:54 PM.
    www.svpremvs.cc