Clicky

Rhino to 3dsmax

Thread: Rhino to 3dsmax

Default Rhino to 3dsmax

Hi everyone,

Someone can help me to import properly a Rhino file into 3dsmax?? I've try to export rhino file to .obj, it works but the mesh is a real mess! Everything is triangulated and I can't make any modifications later on :S

Thank you

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Name:  mesh.JPG
Views: 6586
Size:  89.2 KB

Click on the objects you want to export, type Mesh into the command Line and click on Advanced - here you can set up in realtime the density of mesh, edge's lengths and so on... Once it's set, don't click anywhere, just hit DELETE button - to delete all selected NURBS objects (otherwise you'll have duplicated geometry - NURBS and MESH)

BTW Rhino is primarily a NURBS editor - not working with polygons on the same level as 3ds max do. Don't expect super clean mesh coming out of Rhino...

Anyway, you may join FlyingArchitecture forum - actually it is a Rhino forum
    Matus Nedecky
    FlyingArchitecture

oh and of course - once it's converted to mesh, just then export it as you did before.
    Matus Nedecky
    FlyingArchitecture

Hello!
    I strongly disagree with Matus (sorry buddy!)
    Yes it's true Rhino is a Nurbs engine but NO you will not get a bad result or aq bad Mesh while exporting to 3DS.
    In my expreience, the best method and almost flawless to export is:
    1) Select the geometry you'd like to export.
    2) Run MESH command on Rhinoceros, the most crucial step here is to select "refine mesh" to make shure any details on your model are exported.
    *When your geometry is extremely simple I recommend also selecting the "simple planes" option, this way your meshes will be exported with less triangle faces. When using an organic form the refine mesh option will do fine...
    3) No need to erase any geometry at this point. Run the SELMESH command in order to select all the meshes in your scene.
    4) Run the EXPORT command, a file window will pop up and here's an even more crucial step for the export to come out fine:
    -Select DFX as a "save as type" file and click SAVE.
    -A new options window will pop up, select 2004 solids as a save option and the click "Edit Schemes..."
    -Select the next:
    Autocad version-ACAD 2004, Export surfaces as-Solids, Export meshes as-3d Faces, Project to plane-Do not project, Export full layer Paths (parent&child), Color by Autocad Index, Flip arc normals to +Z.
    5) click on SAVE and your model will be exported with fine detail, yes... lots of triangle faces, but detail will not fail on your model, and also it's not much of a memory consuming model.
    6) Enjoy