Clicky

Help! Im not an architect!

Thread: Help! Im not an architect!

Default Help! Im not an architect!

Hi, I have just graduated from a CG & VFX degree in the UK but during this time whilst looking for an area i could use my Sketchup knowledge i came across an interview with Henry Goss where he mentioned sketchup, this led me to Peter Guthries work, then Ronens and so on and since then i have just been mesmerised by the entire Archviz industry. The Third & the Seventh completely changed my mind about what i wanted to do with my life halfway through a vfx course! I have been using Sketchup for about 7 years and max for about 4 and whilst i have a firm grasp of the tools, I dont have the creative flair to design buildings for a reel because i simply don't know whats right or wrong when it comes to realistic architecture.

Do you have any tips or ideas on how i can begin to create some pieces for a demo reel without copying other visualisers?
    Is it just a case of find an interesting bit of architecture and use that?

Jack

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Well, the good thing os you're not the one desiging it. Don't know what the industry/economy is like in the UK but you could start by getting some practice. Offer to help out local architects (maybe for a reduced rate) and get some experience. As for 'realistic architecture' as you put it, i'd recommen learning some photography settings and techniques. (Aperture, shitter speed, ISO, wide angles and distortion etc.)

Don't feel intimidated, you already have and are use to the modeling software.... Just make that knowledge work for you.

Hope that helped,
    Valdano

Hi I know it has been some time since this post, but all I can say to you is buy some arch book such is Architecture now or something like that preferably, and try to recreate images as seen. Since you are not selling design but CG & VFX that will give you enough details and stuff to practice and to make your own showcase.
    wish you the best!