Clicky

Architecture Realtime on UE4

Thread: Architecture Realtime on UE4

Hybrid View

Default Architecture Realtime on UE4

Hi guys.

This is my first try using Unreal Engine 4 for realtime visualization.

Name:  UE4Editor 2014-08-06 00-12-04-61.jpg
Views: 2461
Size:  49.4 KBName:  UE4Editor 2014-08-06 00-11-57-25.jpg
Views: 2216
Size:  47.9 KBName:  UE4Editor 2014-08-06 00-11-48-58.jpg
Views: 2526
Size:  51.6 KBName:  UE4Editor 2014-08-06 00-12-11-68.jpg
Views: 2700
Size:  52.3 KBName:  UE4Editor 2014-08-06 00-12-26-45.jpg
Views: 2000
Size:  47.3 KBName:  UE4Editor 2014-08-06 00-12-32-06.jpg
Views: 2021
Size:  46.8 KB
    Last edited by Rafael Reis; 09-16-2014 at 07:03 PM.

Hi Rafael, your result looks great!! can you explain in short what is the process? is the light prebaked or RT? and how much time does one have to spend to prepare the scene once imported?

thanks
    kizo

Nice to see more people working on UE4. There is not a lot of info directed to archviz on ue4 so it's pretty tough to look around so many game oriented information.

Video is down

Hey Kizo,

I made all 3d meshes inside 3ds max and then exported the models in .FBX format. Walls, floors and other static architectural elements I exported as one big mesh. The objects should be unwrapped with a extra uv channel. UE4 uses the first channel to diffuse and the second to bake the lightmaps.Then I imported all meshes to UE4.
    UE4 has a good GI engine, the lightmass. You have to configure the lightmap size of each object and then build the lighting.
    I spent 2 months to make this project, but I was learning and I have a lot of troubles with blueprints (visual script system)

Hey Rafael,

Is there any way you can further explain your process to a noob like me who's only ever done very short animations using max/vray? I'd love to be able to end up with this type of result using UE4. If you don't have time, perhaps link some good resources for someone like me who has never used UE4 or a gaming engine for this type of work before? I don't care if it'd take months to learn.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by markitecture View Post
    Hey Rafael,

Is there any way you can further explain your process to a noob like me who's only ever done very short animations using max/vray? I'd love to be able to end up with this type of result using UE4. If you don't have time, perhaps link some good resources for someone like me who has never used UE4 or a gaming engine for this type of work before? I don't care if it'd take months to learn.

Thanks!
    There is no better resource to start in ue4 than their own channel on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/user/UnrealDevelopmentKit)
    They have all you need to start up in unreal engine. You may want to skip some tutorials that are oriented more to game developers instead of arch vizs.

This can help with lightmaps too (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY-nKxyHKRc).

Good luck!

We're looking at Lumion, Twinmotion and Unreal 4 as possible realtime render engines.
    It seems the process of getting a model from Revit (we're an architectural firm that only use Revit) to a workable asset in Unreal 4 is quite a mission.
    That's where Lumion seem much quicker and easier and a lot of content available, compared to Unreal 4?
    How to you guys rate Twinmotion - I played around with it, but struggled on bigger scenes.

Please advise

Thanks