Clicky

miniCHALLENGE#02 - RailClone - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: miniCHALLENGE#02 - RailClone

Congrats Newke, it's an amazing use of RailClone.
    Carlos Quintero
    Itoo Software
    www.itoosoft.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks

@leelou : there are two methods (and maybe more) to "slice" the mesh.

--The first is the one i used on the image :
    Slice the mesh every 5mm by using the "Slice plane" function of the editable poly modifier. This took something like 15-20 minutes to do... You can slice on a larger scale if you want less definition. After that, you just have to click on the edges sub-object, and all the edges you have created by slicing are selected automatically. Just click on "create shape"/"linear" and you have a pack of spline for your railcloning fun!

--The second one i tried just now :
    Create a simple plane, duplicate it directly many times with 5 mm spaces between each plane. Attach them together and use the "Procutter" compound object to slice the main object. Now you can extract the spline as in the first method. This method is way faster than the first one.

Now you can play with endless possibilities, experimenting with different meshes, different segments and different materials...
    It's a shame animation stuff is disabled on the lite version, i'd like to play with this as well
    Last edited by newke; 01-04-2011 at 11:37 AM.

What a creative and impressive peice of work. Any chance of seeing diamonds falling from her hand? Good stuff indeed!

This is so nice, and very creative idea, I cannot believe you actually used a railclone plugin to create this, they should use it in their gallery to show that its not only for rails and roads!!

Quote Originally Posted by newke View Post

--The first is the one i used on the image :

--The second one i tried just now :
    Why not just use the section splineobject
    (create panel -> shapes -> section ...)

it creates a virtual shape that you can collapse to a spline.
    This would be the fasted method imo.

Quote Originally Posted by artmak View Post
    This is so nice, and very creative idea, I cannot believe you actually used a railclone plugin to create this, they should use it in their gallery to show that its not only for rails and roads!!
    Of course we will pleased to use it in our gallery if Newke agrees.
    Carlos Quintero
    Itoo Software
    www.itoosoft.com

Just tried the section shape object, it create one shape at a time, it's similar to the first method i used.
    If you use multiple planes collapsed in one objet with procutter, you are slicing the whole object in one clic, which is faster than moving the slice plane a hundred times i think.

Ok, here is my take on this.

See here and here for high-res images.

The image below says it all (more or less).

I started with a satellite photo and derived a four splines from the outline of the building that corresponded to its four different types of levels.

Then I isolated an modelled four facade elements. Using RailClone Lite, I swept some elements along the splines, completing about 80 per cent of the building this way. The results were extremely predictable. In order to make the elements fit exactly the facade's original layout, I translated them on the x axis for fine positioning.

I set up my materials before plugging the facade elements into RailClone for sweeping. The modelling and texturing were based on a large number of photos of the building I'd shot. I used Materialwerk's Brix plugin for the brown tiles.

Finally, I added some additional detail (some windows, the ground floor wall, etc.), some entourage, set up my lighting rig and rendered.
    Visit my blog

Hello Bertrand.

It is looking really nice. I like especially the 2nd shoot.
    Are you gonna finish this scene or leave it as it is?

Best wishes.

Thanks, I will leave it as it is. I think, as a Railclone showcase, it probably works better that way, by focusing the eye on what the plugin can do.
    Visit my blog

Very interesting, the second shot is looking very nice. What time did it take to model the building, from modeling and texturing the different pieces, to the railcloning process ?

rockin image BBB3, yours and the other images sure make it hard to work on my image LOL... good going indeed!!!