Clicky

How would you model this landscape?

Thread: How would you model this landscape?

Default How would you model this landscape?

Hi everyone

Just looking for any tips on how you would go about modelling this kind of environment?

Best tools, tips, workflows or seen any tutorials similar?

I have a rough idea how I would approach it using splines but may be quite time consuming!

Also I would be using 3ds Max if that makes a difference haha

Name:  Featured_Image24.jpg
Views: 11520
Size:  45.5 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hi Andy,

I modeled a stepped topo look for the Maxwell challenge here some time ago as seen below.

Maxwell Challenge Balsa Model

There's a number of ways to model that sort of thing, but I found splines to be the fastest and most flexible. Here's my workflow:

1. Create your bounding rectangle spline.
    2. In Top view draw in a new spline across your rectangle boundary. Best to start at the top or bottom and work your way from there.
    3. If the topo is not radically different each step you can simply Shift-drag the first spine down the Y-axis and edit the verts as needed.
    4. Do step 3 as many times as need to get all your spines in there.
    5. Now select all but the first spline move them on the Z-axis the same distance as your intended thickness of each step. I just Right-click the Move icon and enter offsets as I go deselecting one spline each move so I am just stepping up or down in order. Goes really fast.
    6. Now that your splines are at the correct heights. It's time to merge all these spines + your rectangle into one spline object.
    7. No Shift-drag and snap copies of that rectangle spline up or down the Z-axis (within the same object) so there is one for each step.
    8. Go down to "Trim" in your spline tool, switch to perspective view and just trim the duplicate rectangle splines at each side near where their respective topo line intersects. Just ignore the floating left over splines from this step, you can simply delete them all when you are done.
    9. Switch to verts mode, select all and weld.
    10. Apply an Extrude modifier and set the "Amount" to match the distance you previously determined your steps will be.
    11. Boom, done and you can easily edit your topo now that they are all splines.

Looks like more work than it is. Shouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes for something like your example pic.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by sconlogue; 05-12-2014 at 03:04 PM.
    Samuel Conlogue
    3D Artist @ Infusion Studios, Inc.
    CGSociety Portfolio
    infusionstudios3d.com
    [email protected]

I would do this that way:

1. In Edit Poly Extrude the sufrace:
    Name:  Step_1+2.jpg
Views: 1230
Size:  78.4 KB

2. Create Plane and Copy it (as Copy not instance) upwards as many layers you want and with layers spacing needed:
    Name:  Step_3.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  25.3 KB

3. Select the surface object, and use Boolean with options: Cut -> Refine picking first Plane Object:
    Name:  Step_5.jpg
Views: 1354
Size:  44.4 KB

4. Edit Poly with surface object. When you'll select Edges, there'll be PARTIALLY selected new ones added by Boolean:
    Name:  Step_6.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  52.0 KB

5. To select them all use Loop:
    Name:  Step_7.jpg
Views: 1359
Size:  52.2 KB

6. Then with edge selected use Create Shape with Linear option:
    Name:  Step_8.jpg
Views: 1331
Size:  52.5 KB

You've got now that shape:
    Name:  Step_9.jpg
Views: 1338
Size:  18.9 KB

7. Edit it by welding some vertices and check if everything is correct and then use Extrude.

8. Repeat the proces for all the layer plane and you have it!
    Name:  Step_11.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  24.2 KB
    Last edited by raffaEl; 05-13-2014 at 12:50 PM.

wow thanks! great reply!!

haha yeah sounds quite a bit, I'll give it a try tho!

Splines was my initial idea, But I thought I would have to "extrude modifier" each spline! I also thought about once the splines are made use the compound terrain modifier

Thanks again, andy

also, your work looks great! Very nice, well done

Thanks raffaEl, very cool! never thought of it that way at all!

thebuck I'm a DT subscriber and I've watched that tutorial, it's pretty good but in the end they don't show you how to make the contours stepped like that which was quite disappointing but still a pretty informative tutorial.

Here's my quick attempt using the steps described by sconlogue Attachment 22962

raffaEl, for your workflow you're probably better of using the section shape and collapsing that to a spline, much
    faster and easier to do.

Default Terrain function in 3ds max

I would use splines and then the Terrain function in Max, then you have a few settings there you can create what you want. not 100% sure it will work, since its a long time since I have done this.