Clicky

Realistic foliage - Page 3
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Realistic foliage

i did not manage to make some A&D tests today, but when i was walking the dog this morning i took some pictures with my mobile i want to share here.

Name:  IMG_0704.jpg
Views: 4206
Size:  156.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_0705.jpg
Views: 4090
Size:  137.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_0709.jpg
Views: 4086
Size:  110.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_0710.jpg
Views: 4096
Size:  158.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_0712.jpg
Views: 3998
Size:  97.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_0713.jpg
Views: 4115
Size:  152.6 KB

my conclusion: there are so many variables concerning the whole thing.
    there are not just "leafs", there are different species of plants, young leafs, older, different posiiton in tree and reaction to light.
    of course, the prodan-images are great and he shows a good job there and something we are not really used to see... BUT:
    i dont really think it is just the shader. it is the sum of all the things.
    variation, colors,reflections, great models (!), how the things are placed and so on. i am not sure if one could not do this in vray.. or mental ray or whatever render-engine. mimicing the nature is more that the transparency model of your leaf-shader... i don't know
    Last edited by lasse1309; 08-29-2012 at 06:09 PM.
    michaltimko likes this.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

i tried to explain in my last post but you explained it very well!

Wheres the dog? I want to see the dog! How come you didn't take a picture of your dog?

Quote Originally Posted by lasse1309 View Post
    i did not manage to make some A&D tests today, but when i was walking the dog this morning i took some pictures with my mobile i want to share here.

my conclusion: there are so many variables concerning the whole thing.
    there are not just "leafs", there are different species of plants, young leafs, older, different posiiton in tree and reaction to light.
    of course, the prodan-images are great and he shows a good job there and something we are not really used to see... BUT:
    i dont really think it is just the shader. it is the sum of all the things.
    variation, colors,reflections, great models (!), how the things are placed and so on. i am not sure if one could not do this in vray.. or mental ray or whatever render-engine. mimicing the nature is more that the transparency model of your leaf-shader... i don't know

I absolutely agree. There is missunderstanding that I merely atribute all to the shader. I don't, I simply mentioned it as one thing. Otherwise I wouldn't be taking references, buying botanic books on trees, and modeling fully custom trees :- )

Edit: on second look, your mobile makes really good photos, unlike mine
    Last edited by JurajTalcik; 08-29-2012 at 10:13 PM.
    lasse1309 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JurajTalcik View Post
    I absolutely agree. There is missunderstanding that I merely atribute all to the shader. I don't, I simply mentioned it as one thing. Otherwise I wouldn't be taking references, buying botanic books on trees, and modeling fully custom trees :- )
    yes, i know i am thinking about this thing all the time for the last days as well and looking at different leafs and so on.

i picked two leafs this morning from the same branch. one from the middle and one from the tip. the one at the tip was obviously younger, very thin, brighter in colour with basically no reflection - while the other one was of a very dark green with a leather-like surface. very interesting. in spring all the trees look like that while now in late summer everything always is a bit darker and more thick..

nevertheless i am very interested in what mr can do better what vray is weak at. really looking forward to your test!
    after looking at the prodan-trees for a while i just realized that his models are actually killer as well - the probably would look crazy and do their job even rendered as AO-pass. a good shader of course does the rest

@rawalanche: did i say dog? i mean dogs. they are in the first picture in the bushes on the right side outside of the image

cheers L
    Last edited by lasse1309; 08-29-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Very interesting thread

Happy to see people looking into this ! When I go for a walk with some friends they take me for a dumb when I stare at trees, and grab some leaves ^^

I'm processing some photos I took a week ago and post them here as soon as possible

EDIT:

Here are Fagus Sylvatica pics (European Beech)

Name:  IMG_4978.jpg
Views: 3888
Size:  188.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_5110.jpg
Views: 3862
Size:  330.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_5015.jpg
Views: 3864
Size:  386.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_5107.jpg
Views: 3876
Size:  542.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_5009.jpg
Views: 3872
Size:  431.1 KB

Hires (slow loading sorry):
    http://goo.gl/dGCge
    http://goo.gl/OOSSl
    http://goo.gl/7M0iw
    http://goo.gl/3rISv
    http://goo.gl/jKEla

Next post some Birch ones
    Last edited by Fouinard; 08-29-2012 at 09:41 PM.
    lasse1309 and JurajTalcik like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fouinard View Post
    Very interesting thread

Happy to see people looking into this ! When I go for a walk with some friends they take me for a dumb when I stare at trees, and grab some leaves ^^

I'm processing some photos I took a week ago and post them here as soon as possible
    one of the examples where intense computer-work gets you back into nature

And now Betula (Birch)

Name:  IMG_4961.jpg
Views: 3813
Size:  238.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_3954.jpg
Views: 3813
Size:  347.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_3920.jpg
Views: 3789
Size:  349.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_4958.jpg
Views: 3799
Size:  273.3 KB

Hires (still slow ^^):
    http://goo.gl/YABhP
    http://goo.gl/7bbp3
    http://goo.gl/IFE1u
    http://goo.gl/LlBMY

I also have other species (only the top of the leaves) like Red Raspberry, Hazel tree, and some pine trees (needles closeups)...

Quote Originally Posted by Macker View Post
    To my knowledge this was only ever implimented so that renders set up with the arch & design shader wouldn't render out entirely black; so you could still get something vaguely useable out of VRay. I don't think all of the features are in any way supported, I have a feeling it's just the basic diffuse/reflect/glossiness and perhaps bump?
    I had a look at the AD shader and if it works with vray. It seems that certain aspects of this shader wont work. The cutout map doesnt work so that kills the AD shader for me.

I had a go with a standard vray material using refraction and translucency as opposed to using a two sided material and the results aren't bad. As mentioned before, having sky sensitive leaves will help too IMO. I've been using an evermotion vol 58 tree as a base model and the leaves are pointing in all directions giving ugly reflections when viewed from above.

Recently I used Peter Guthrie's 2 sided grass material for a project and had a lot of trouble maintaining nice speculars. The blades were just too small and vray smoothed them away completely. I had to do some aggressive curve adjustments in PS to get them back.

Anyhoo this is a great thread and we need more of this type of stuff so keep it up!

I think this is fascinating and I'm keeping a keen eye on this. I will contribute tests if I can.

If realism is the goal, there is a lot of merit in looking into the shaders, IMO, even if they are of course part of a whole that also includes adequate geometry, good lighting, etc. The shader makes at least a good third of a convincing image. Having said that, we should make sure that we carry out our tests with relatively high render settings as things like clamping or low AA settings can really kill a good shader (I'm talking Vray here).

I found the MR tests Juraj posted really intriguing (even though the amount of post on some of the images make them almost painful to watch). There is a moistness and transluscency to them that is indeed remarkable, almost as though the canopy were one big SSS ball.

These images have even made me look at the trees around me differently and I do see now more clearly than I used to how deep the light travels through several layers of leaves and degrades as it reaches the core. This is definitely something I have had difficulties achieving with a 2sided mat, which seems a lot coarser in how it lets light through or not.

So I think Juraj is definitely on to sthg though I would myself prefer to investigate how to get Vray to behave more convincingly than just switch to another renderer.

EDIT:

No tests but a few links to some of my images where I thought the foliage wasn't too bad:

Graticule House | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Graticule House | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Result Chair | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Garden4 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Casa Ponce | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Last edited by BBB3; 08-30-2012 at 09:57 AM.
    bakbek, Macker, Fouinard and 1 others like this.
    Visit my blog

Quote Originally Posted by BBB3 View Post
    I think this is fascinating and I'm keeping a keen eye on this. I will contribute tests if I can.

If realism is the goal, there is a lot of merit in looking into the shaders, IMO, even if they are of course part of a whole that also includes adequate geometry, good lighting, etc. The shader makes at least a good third of a convincing image. Having said that, we should make sure that we carry out our tests with relatively high render settings as things like clamping or low AA settings can really kill a good shader (I'm talking Vray here).

I found the MR tests Juraj posted really intriguing (even though the amount of post on some of the images make them almost painful to watch). There is a moistness and transluscency to them that is indeed remarkable, almost as though the canopy were one big SSS ball.

These images have even made me look at the trees around me differently and I do see now more clearly than I used to how deep the light travels through several layers of leaves and degrades as it reaches the core. This is definitely something I have had difficulties achieving with a 2sided mat, which seems a lot coarser in how it lets light through or not.

So I think Juraj is definitely on to sthg though I would myself prefer to investigate how to get Vray to behave more convincingly than just switch to another renderer.
    I am so happy that you see it this way :- )

It's also funny to read how people look around at things differently in real life, studying them more deeply. I've read funny response from one cg guy lately that went: "I can't look at things without imagining them in wire"

I did a quick test using the two methods described in my previous post (vtay/guthrie - mr/patton) and aside from the fact that I messed up DOF for the mr render I can't get the AD material to show translucent shadows or act as a real leaf would... It may have with the fact that I'm not that keen on mr and I may have missed a setting but the vray double sided material works better for me. I will give it another try and see what comes up (rendering the AD material with vray was the worst case scenario so far so i didn't include it)

Name:  leafs_test.jpg
Views: 6989
Size:  44.1 KB