Clicky

Realistic foliage - Page 2
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Realistic foliage

Quote Originally Posted by m-arch View Post
    He, I actually thought about the "VRayVegMat" name too, you know, before the VRayNatMat one, but it sounds like a vegan sandwich!
    Funny... Veg-mat does sound like some weird veggie sand.

It's also funny how Allesandro Prodan's work struck cords in all of us.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

i remember a vray road show some years ago when they said the A&D shader had been integrated into vray...
    never tried it though, but maybe this could be a way of getting the good things of both worlds? have to try this tomorrow

L

Quote Originally Posted by lasse1309 View Post
    i remember a vray road show some years ago when they said the A&D shader had been integrated into vray...
    never tried it though, but maybe this could be a way of getting the good things of both worlds? have to try this tomorrow

L
    This is excellent idea, I knew about it too, yet didn't remember it at all. I barely remeber I had few items set up in Mental ray with metallic AD shader, which behaved very differently in Vray. I thought it was just about translating all values and maps, which are all very similiar between two shaders, but this could be interesting. I will try too

To my knowledge this was only ever implimented so that renders set up with the arch & design shader wouldn't render out entirely black; so you could still get something vaguely useable out of VRay. I don't think all of the features are in any way supported, I have a feeling it's just the basic diffuse/reflect/glossiness and perhaps bump?
    Check out my blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

Looking forward to see AD shader test in vray. I'll keep my eye on this thread.
    www.pawelfilip.com
    -----------------------
    twitter
    facebook

Very Nice Thread...
    I also tried to see which renderer would perform better for leaves and I based my tests to two amazing articles,
    the first is by peter guthrie 3D tree material tutorial - Leaves « Peter Guthrie (VRAY),
    the second is by jeff patton Rendering Leaves with mental ray | jeffpatton.net.
    From my initial tests I liked the vray double sided method better but maybe I should look again into mrshaders...

For me, most important is realistic GI. GI affects shaders.
    I think we dont have to create super-complex SSS foliage. Realism isnt about shaders only. Its about GI, Tonemapping, composition, color balance and randomness / imperfections.

Also, using transculency controlled with weight map + little bit of transparency controlled by weight map on proper geometry should do the trick. Im sure Alessandro used simple approach when he did this beautiful vegetation.

This is test i did in Corona renderer, which is in alpha stage now.
    I used simple transculency with map in slot. This test is simple, just few trees, sun+sky. Its not photoshopped, image is directly from frame buffer and result is very satisfying for me even with this simple settings. I used trees from Evermotion vol.58

here is PSed version (color balance + curves + bloom + Ca)
    I think that using CA based on colored bokeh map should be more correct than "moving" rgb channels in PS.
    I`ll try to simulate CA with Zdepth map in my next tests.
    Last edited by michaltimko; 08-29-2012 at 12:03 PM.
    annkos likes this.

From my experience, mental ray translucency is no different to vray translucency. They are both simple functions that control how much light is passed through on the other side of the face. There are only minor differences:

MentalRay works only with diffuse component of material when using translucency, so reflectivity amount remains the same, while Vray works with entire shader, so you need to compensate for reflection energy loss by increasing reflectivity.

MentalRay does conserve diffuse energy in a different manner than Vray, so when working with translucency in vray, you might want to increase output value of your diffuse texture a little in order to gain desired brightness back.

Other than that, none of these two solutions is more or less correct, they are simple solution for light transmittance, with no advanced diffuse scattering function or something like that...
    Last edited by rawalanche; 08-29-2012 at 12:17 PM.
    michaltimko and nightreelf like this.

I am almost done with tree, so we can move for tests, should be better than Evermotion one, because of leaves orientation.

2Michal: I am talking all things equal, shader only. There are people (namely Peter Guthrie and Bertrand), who have it all, nice models, great lightning composition and colors, yet it seems it's the tech, namely the shader, that betrays the realism. I am not talking about any advanced sss or anything necessary, but thank you for opinion. Why the Corona nametag btw ? Are you now officialy beta(alpha)-tester ? Pictures are nice, way to blurry to see much but it seems it's there quite nice.

2Rawalanche: Thank you for input :- ) I have huge respect for your work, I am not very aquinted with technicals behind these shaders, only what they do for me. And by simply comparing the existing results of Vray and Prodan's render, difference seems huge.

Edit: Ah, you're not Corona's main developer or ? I seems to have this confused..
    Last edited by JurajTalcik; 08-29-2012 at 03:09 PM.

I usually reference Ludvik Koutny's Esherick House project for MR foliage.

Louis Kahn's Esherick House by Ludvik Koutny - Ronen Bekerman 3d architectural visualization blog

I haven't played around with such in vray yet. Will definitely be following this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JurajTalcik View Post
    Edit: Ah, you're not Corona's main developer or ? I seems to have this confused..
    No, Keymaster is main developer, i am just active tester and i design some of the frontend and features from user side of the thing.

Its not fair to attribute realism on shaders only. I think that nature is complex thing, its not like rendering product in studio environment, where shaders are most important.

Randomness and imperfections, more material variation for one tree with different opacity and diffuse maps, nice reflectivity mixed with transculency also with proper tree and leaves models - this is what you can see, if you look around you. Nature is all about randomness.

Quote Originally Posted by JurajTalcik View Post
    2Michal: I am talking all things equal, shader only.
    SSS is part of shaders/materials. I was speaking generally.

Im looking forward to see some test and more opinions! Especially on Juraj`s tree.
    Last edited by michaltimko; 08-29-2012 at 09:03 PM.