Clicky

The Museum by Simon Edwards

Thread: Simon Edwards

Default Simon Edwards

Hello all, i am a little late to this challenge because of work obligations but i'm here now and wow what great prizes ! Best of luck everyone.

My concept is the timeless nature of Mies's work everything he has produced especially the furniture has not dated at all and remains timeless modernism. Also recently Stanley Kubrick had an anniversary so i am going to try and combine the 2. I am going to try and produce a multi light animation because this is one of the excellent features of maxwell.

I updated this image to my final
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by chedda; 08-15-2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: change thumbnail

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I am continuing to play with the composition, it's proving difficult to get everything i want in the view. I am working on the model of Dave Bowman from a basic low poly version by Max Greuter. Also the mapping of the face.However i think the image should be symmetrical so again i moved on.

I have in mind the audio for the animation it's Lux Aeterna check it out here:

György Ligeti (1923 - 2006) - Lux Aeterna (piece for 16 solo singers) - YouTube

quite haunting and matching for the overall feeling i have in mind

Default progress

So i have 3 light sources in the image, a futuristic hdri environment, the ceiling lights and the 2 pod's spotlights the animation will be a transition between them perhaps also with some simulens effects.

Default Update

This is where i am at today any feedback would be appreciated. Oh by the way the monolith is the exhibit ! A pretty timeless object !

Hey Simon,
    I like the idea. But I think that your first symmetrical shot was better than the latest closeup.
    you should actually work a bit more on the idea, that monolith is the exhibition piece. Maybe the only one in the whole building.
    what about creating nice symmetrical composition where monolith is in the center and Dave is sitting patiently on the bench in his space suit and viewing it like a piece of art. Maybe he can sit there alone, or you can have other people around moving and blurred a lot. but not Dave. He sits there without any move.

Thanks for the comment Adam. To be honest i started to think i was too far out side the box with this idea. I didn't get any feedback so i thought i'd change my idea completely ! I have a new scene perhaps i will finish it with this extension !

"Open the Pod bay doors, HAL"
    Great idea !
    Would like to see more renders.

Default Response

Thanks for the response Maciej. I had thought the 2001 theme was just too crazy now i am very confused. My new idea was to create an installation like a photo booth so people can pose as Mies. I was going to work on a camera & tripod for the foreground. Now i have to decide which idea to go with.If i go with this new version maybe it's called Meis 'o' Matic or Meis 'o' gram. I thought it would be a direct nod using a camera in the scene to Maxwell's photographic qualities.

Default Exhibit/Installation

Okay guys i am still going with the new idea, i think it is more subtle and realistic for a gallery.I have been adding details and working on this scene. This interior is just so big it's a difficult task to propose exhibits that will fill it. However i do have an idea for the main central space. I will update agains soon.The camera & tripod i found on the warehouse.

It's starting to look like i just might make it, it's going to be close though ! Mies 'o' matic is the title. I had to make some concessions due to tome limitations and work commitments & also rendering at too low a resolution (doh). Watch this space.......

It seems being on a different longitude gives me a slight extension those extra hours are going to help clean up the renders.

Default Final Images

The wide scene is my artistic play of a photograph within a photograph because of maxwell's obvious photographic quality.

The close up is in contrast of scale but through reflections it show the space.

Both of my images are a compliment to Mies, what better an exhibit than that of himself. I tried to narrate the scene a little bit with the sign on the right. Hopefully people will draw their own conclusions. I was a little unhappy with the cigar texture i know it could have been a lot better.But i think the glass ashtray texture worked well.I think (as always) that both images could have cooked for longer.

The plants are from evermotion. The chair is a heavily modified object from turbosquid.

Good luck everyone some great images here.
    Last edited by chedda; 08-16-2012 at 04:30 AM.