Clicky

The Museum by Kārlis Musts

Thread: Kārlis Musts

Default Kārlis Musts

Hey!
    I'm a graphics design student coming from an architectural background, and I'd really love to join the competition. I've had some luck in a previous Next Limit competition for the SketchUp render plugin, but this one takes it to a whole new level! Hope to learn much and maybe even contribute my share to others. I have a great passion for architectural photography and modern architecture, and I just got a Julius Shulman's book to draw some inspiration from, so the competition feels just in place.

I'll be working in SketchUp, so, because of the limited complexity, I'll concentrate more on the mood, lighting and materials. The closed exterior space looks as the best spot to try my hand with the new Maxwell grass feature and seems as a good spot to host an exhibition of some light installations.
    I'd like to make a kind of surreal mood, when the lumbering champagne-fuddled crowds of people are starting to scatter from the exhibition as the installations radiate an almost magical light that interrupts the surrounding city space that has started to sink into a gloomy evening fog. I hope to find some people that would fit into the time period and manage to emphasize the timelessness of the architectural ideals brought forward by the modernist architects.

Starting to look for some references that could highlight my ideas now...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Speaker; 08-07-2012 at 03:02 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The first reference: image from Peter Bialobrzeski's "Neon Tiger" series. This one has been stuck in my head for a long time and I'd really like to recreate this mood into my renders.
    Peter Bialobrzeski photography - work - Neontigers
    Last edited by Speaker; 08-07-2012 at 03:03 AM.

Finally I'm back to the project.

I gathered some references of the site and made a quick sketch of what I want to see to start building the composition.

The first things I'll have to make:
    -Ivy along the wall
    -Info display
    -Champagne table
    -Background panorama
    -Grass

I was really struggling to find suitable light sculptures and decided to just make my own one. The one I'm making will go along the theme of the olympics, so the event itself could be a presentation of it.

The first image is going to be composed similarly to the sketch- aligned to the back wall with people sitting on the bench in the foreground, the sculpture in the middle of attention, and the illuminated city in the far back.
    The second one will feature a close up of the sculpture from the pool, with the NG in the background .

Quite some time has passed, but I finally was able to visit the gallery myself. It was the best moment from my trip to Berlin and I was also able to catch some great shots at dawn.

Thank you Ronen for the challenge! I wouldn't have got this without you!

Quote Originally Posted by Speaker View Post
    Quite some time has passed, but I finally was able to visit the gallery myself. It was the best moment from my trip to Berlin and I was also able to catch some great shots at dawn.

Thank you Ronen for the challenge! I wouldn't have got this without you!
    Thank you for sharing these