Clicky

The Museum by Eric Mehl
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eric Mehl

Default Eric Mehl

My latest:

Last edited by egmehl; 08-15-2012 at 09:36 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Modeling / texturing update

I've gotten into the modeling and some texturing now. I scanned through the imported model and decided to remodel a number of the pieces so I could get chamfered edges and better texture coordinates for mapping later on. I've been using the Quad Chamfer modifier by Marius Silaghi and I'm loving it so far, it gets chamfering onto the modifier stack so it can be changed later instead of baked into an edit poly operation.

Name:  mullion+column.jpg
Views: 2842
Size:  62.4 KB
    Name:  marble column.jpg
Views: 2851
Size:  97.9 KB

I also went the route many others did and used the Floor Generator script (probably the most useful script ever!) to create the exterior and interior tiles. I used a slightly different way of getting the textures on though
    • I turn off all the uv randomizing in the script.
    • I have a script of my own that will randomly offset the coordinates for each tile.
    • I create 1 medium / large texture with the an array of individual textures for each tile.
    • For example, for a texture with a 5x5 array of tile images, each 3d tile is offset randomly either 0, .2, .4, .6, .8 in both u and v direction
    • This gives me a pretty random texture without using gigantic maps and only having one material to worry about changing settings on.

Original textures for inside / outside tiles and marble columns:
    Name:  texture_preview.jpg
Views: 2894
Size:  155.0 KB

Overview of exterior paving:
    Name:  outside_paving_overview.jpg
Views: 2784
Size:  53.3 KB

Closeup of exterior paving - not totally random, but I'll touch that up later:
    Name:  outside_paving_zoom.jpg
Views: 3061
Size:  80.6 KB

And a few overview shots from a couple cameras.
    Name:  camera_1_wire.jpg
Views: 2637
Size:  110.4 KB
    Name:  camera_5_wire.jpg
Views: 2616
Size:  104.0 KB

Default Concept Images

A quick edit so that my top post only has my latest image in it and it shows up on the forum thumbnails right. Here's my original concept images:

Ok, I'm in too! I've been rolling some concepts around in my mind since the start but just now got the time to put down. There's already a lot of great work, so hopefully I can catch up

One of my first thoughts when I saw the building was "aquarium", so I've been using that impression as a them for a lot of my ideas. S. Neadnod already beat me to the idea of sealife bursting out of the building (very cool concept images by the way, can't wait to see more). My latest idea that I'm going to go with is still in that line - I'm going to have a giant sculpture of a cat looking longingly into the Museum, which is full of glass / plastic goldfish, and maybe a few other aquarium items. I might give him some kind of implement to help out too.

Anybody ever play that game Alleycat, from the 80's? There's one part where you as the cat jump into a fish tank and try to eat as many as you can, that's probably where the idea came from. That should give me plenty of challenges - creating the cat and fish on top of the building itself.

Here are my first concept images, very rough (my first made on Photoshop for ipad which is quite cool). The cameras are very rough, and of course there are two different cats where there should only be one! But hopefully it gets the idea across while I get into the model and sculptures.

Best luck to everyone!

Name:  Photo Jun 23, 7 09 26 PM.jpg
Views: 2636
Size:  29.1 KBName:  Photo Jun 23, 7 09 23 PM.jpg
Views: 2571
Size:  52.2 KBName:  Photo Jun 23, 7 09 20 PM.jpg
Views: 2549
Size:  41.1 KB

Default Cat 1

I've gotten into modeling my cat, here are a few progress shots. He still needs a ton of work - it's my first creature modeling so it's tough, plus there is the fur - it makes the body geometry more forgiving, but getting the fur styled is difficult.

I'm sure I'll be working on him (I've named him Harry) right up to the end.

Where he is at the moment - a scraggly little fella:
    Name:  cat4.jpg
Views: 2884
Size:  65.5 KB

Harry's evolution left-right & top-bottom progression. My current strategy is to break his major limbs apart and fur them separately, his tail alone is in the last picture.
    Name:  cat_progress.jpg
Views: 2540
Size:  56.8 KB

Interior with very early version of cat - he's far too big because I'll probably want to see his face from the inside eventually:
    Name:  interior1.jpg
Views: 2509
Size:  74.4 KB

Name:  cat.jpg
Views: 2709
Size:  48.5 KB
    I've got Harry looking a bit better now - his fur is much finer and I've done some brushing to get it going in different directions. Breaking apart the pieces is crucial because exporting to Maxwell hair is slow and smaller pieces means more iterations are possible. Next up is fixing some bald spots and working on the mouth area.

Name:  goldfish.jpg
Views: 2933
Size:  26.2 KB
    I also have my goldfish mostly done, need some eyes painted on and a bump map probably for the scales, though I may keep it smooth. I'm probably going to have an orange translucent plastic material on her.

Name:  camera2.jpg
Views: 2350
Size:  113.9 KBName:  camera5.jpg
Views: 2340
Size:  145.5 KB
    And also a few camera / lighting tests. I've got about 8 cameras set up now that I like, so it's a matter of picking the best two. I think I'm going to go with an interior/day + exterior/night since the building has so much potential for interesting lighting effects.

Name:  camera1.jpg
Views: 2589
Size:  109.4 KB
    All renders so far are straight from Maxwell, no post yet. The light streaks are a motion blurred car I was testing out. I may go with photo comp'ed light streaks in the end, or at least rendering the motion blur car as a separate pass so I can blur out some of the noise and speed up the main render.

Name:  9155d1342374087-eric-mehl-cat4.jpg
Views: 2266
Size:  65.5 KB

something finally caught my attention here.....i love this cat. you have something magical going on with this little fella already. please leave him the way he is and build an entire world around him.

i look forward to more of this scene.

The light streaks are a motion blurred car I was testing out. I may go with photo comp'ed light streaks in the end, or at least rendering the motion blur car as a separate pass so I can blur out some of the noise and speed up the main render.

that's probably a wise decision. goldfish model looks good. have you worked on texturing him yet?

thanks rusteberg, the cat's been a challenge so it's great to hear you are liking him!

I haven't gotten into texturing the fish yet, I'm going to have to experiment with some different looks since I want it to look like something that could actually be built in real life out of plastic or glass. They are 5-6' tall so some 'manufacturing' considerations need to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by egmehl View Post
    thanks rusteberg, the cat's been a challenge so it's great to hear you are liking him!

I haven't gotten into texturing the fish yet, I'm going to have to experiment with some different looks since I want it to look like something that could actually be built in real life out of plastic or glass. They are 5-6' tall so some 'manufacturing' considerations need to be made.
    but your initial concepts portray something that is not real. something that could be believed to be real through the given medium. why not make something that is believable through the use of a medium which heavily persuades the imagination? what prohibits the course of this challenge from surreal believability?

i can easily visit the real site and experience it myself. what would make me interested in visiting this space given the opportunity to realize an alternate adaptation of it beyond my imagination of reality through a medium which conveys just this?

you have hypothesized a reality through concept which cannot exist in the real world through rational funding. what is prohibiting you from making that believable for a project without any funding?

just because everyone else is trying to reproduce the space as a photograph doesn't mean you can't go beyond that.

I would urge you to make something that is believable in your world versus the real world of others.

A quick update with some of my recent images:
    No post work on any of these yet, just raw renders.

breaking up the scene to work on some materials - exterior night looking at the entrance
    Name:  road_wet.jpg
Views: 2274
Size:  47.7 KB

giant plastic goldfish:
    Name:  fish.jpg
Views: 2184
Size:  44.8 KB

more or less what I'm thinking of for my interior-day view:
    Name:  museum_challenge_8_day_Camera007.jpg
Views: 2150
Size:  158.8 KB

latest iteration of my cat, now looking sad since he can't get his delicious fish:
    Name:  cat7.jpg
Views: 2132
Size:  48.8 KB

The cat has come a long way - very nice expression and the fur looks great. I tried to do a cat a few years ago using Mental Ray and it proved to be very difficult. It is a very large interio space and in your case you don't have anything touching the ground. I do look forward to seeing your final images.

I agree with otho. The fur of the cat looks great. The head looks a little bit "flat" though. Maybe a car accident with one of Jamie Holmes Sports cars? :-)

I totally like the fishes. The material looks very nice