Clicky

The Museum by Stefan Hirschsteiner - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stefan Hirschsteiner

I agree with otoh, it's looking great!

I think you got the butterfly scale just right, whether or not it's biologically correct, it's convincing without making them tiny or huge.

I wonder about the perspective though - have you tried it and not liked it with a little less extreme perspective or with using camera offset to straighten the vertical lines? Just an idea I had looking at it.
    bakbek likes this.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Realy great concept! I can't wait to see the final scene of your work! It would be amazing! Keep up this way!

Quote Originally Posted by egmehl View Post

I think you got the butterfly scale just right, whether or not it's biologically correct, it's convincing without making them tiny or huge.

I wonder about the perspective though - have you tried it and not liked it with a little less extreme perspective or with using camera offset to straighten the vertical lines? Just an idea I had looking at it.

I agree, perspective is too much to inside the building. It is nicer effect if you can make lines more horizontal.
    I love your concept, last render is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by sconlogue View Post
    I'm loving the butterflies! Are you using Maxwell's thin SSS on their wings? If not it could help liven them up with some back lighting / shadow coming through via the SSS. Just a thought.
    Thank you. I already have applied Thin SSS, but still have to tweak it a little bit. The rendertime of the last testshot was really short also, so maybe the effect is not very prominent.
    Last edited by stebehan; 07-31-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by egmehl View Post

Thank you...at first I thought this "chaotic" shot with all the flying butterflies would be more dramatic, if I choose an extreme perspective..but now I think that you are probably right. I will try it tomorrow :-)
    Last edited by stebehan; 07-31-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by otoh View Post
    looking great! the motion blur on the butterflies looks great too.

Once you have the final camera angle you could potentially split your scene into different files and render more butterflies in the different files and comp them back in in the final image if you start having memory issues.
    thanks. That is indeed something I always forget! I definitely will give it a try :-)

A few comments from this visiting photographer:

I really like this idea. Several people have taken the idea of contrasting the grid and straight lines of the NNG with curves of one kind or another, but this looks at a slightly different contrast: heavy and permanent against light and fleeting. Very interesting, but obviously with its own challenges!

Secondly, I think your storyboard of four images is an excellent idea for a working tool. It's helping you to iron out what it is you're trying to say, but it's also making you think about viewing angles and composition right from the start. Very smart.

Thirdly, there's the issue that has already been raised: that wide angle view. Now this one's kind of tricky: as an architectural photographer my initial reaction was to say 'too wide! converging lines! shift lens! Eek!' and other similarly predictable things. Upon further reflection, though, I think it might actually be a very useful part of your collection of images. The other three are very formally framed - and beautiful - but this wide-angle, upward-looking, and quite distorted shot brings an element of immediacy and movement into your collection. It feels like someone was there, photographing a brief moment right as it happened, rather than being ready with their tripod and exactly the right perspective control lens. I think there's a good chance the angle is still perhaps a little too wide (do you need to be able to see the whole building for this shot, for instance?) but that you could deal with that by emphasising that dynamic nature of the view a bit more, perhaps. A little more motion blur, maybe? A slightly off-vertical camera hold? Another excited person in the shot?

Who knows. It's tricky to judge hypotheticals, but seeing as how your other images are so nicely and carefully composed, I think there's probably scope for a slightly different kind of image here - one that would help to emphasise the 'moment' qualities of what you're showing.

All in all, though: very nice stuff indeed!

Thanks Davey,

very, very helpful hints. I will definitely use not such a wide angle lens in my final image. Concerning the shot with the distorted lines i am still not sure. The bad thing is, that i am probably only able to submit 2 of the 4 planned image in final quality (time is flying these days). So I might choose two formal frames maybe....

Seems reasonable!

...Time is flying, though, isn't it? I blame all the olympics coverage, myself...

Just looked at my ceiling and found....butterflies, again :-(

Name:  butts on my ceiling.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  223.1 KB

God I hate these tiny bastards
    Last edited by stebehan; 08-06-2012 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by otoh View Post
    looking great! the motion blur on the butterflies looks great too.

Once you have the final camera angle you could potentially split your scene into different files and render more butterflies in the different files and comp them back in in the final image if you start having memory issues.
    I would suggest focusing on the camera selection and composition without the many hundreds of little friends in the scene... take the technical wall out of this process and add them in simple way such as sketching them back in PS - JUST FOR THE CREATIVE ANGLE OF VIEW SELECTION... so you can save on time and after you are good with that

Do what Jaime suggests here... We can better help you with you showing possible view during the next few days