Clicky

Going from 3DS to Sketchup

Thread: Going from 3DS to Sketchup

Default Going from 3DS to Sketchup

Hi all,

I recently began a new job, where quite a large part of my job is going to be working up 3D images. However, the company uses Sketchup as its 3D software, and I have come from a 3DS background. I've asked IT about the possibility of a 3DS license and it's a no show for the moment, so I'm wondering if any of you who are experienced at Sketchup and 3DS could recommend any plugins for Sketchup that could make it a little more like 3DS? (Using the latest version of SU by the way).

Any help or advice would be appreciated though!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hi!
    I do most of my work in SketchUp and it is a very efficient modeler if used correct.
    You will have to rethink some of your workflow from what you're used to in Max but there is
    a very friendly community at sketchucation.com that is both helpful and knowledgeable.

In SketchUp you always work in one view.
    Learn how SketchUps snapping and inference works and you will know you make it right.
    You can make your own shortcuts to tools that speeds up workflow.
    The best workflow in SketchUp I've found is to model everything on Layer0 and group or make components to kepp stuff from sticking together.
    Then you put the groups on different layers to show or hide them.

There are lots of great extensions/plugins than enhances SketchUp with more advanced features.
    It's a bit hard to say which you should use. It depends on what you will model.
    Fredo has made some truly remarkable extensions like Thrupaint, Joint Pushpull, Tools on surface and many more.
    Thomthom has made quadface tools and SubD, subdivision modelling.
    Then there's Skatter for plants and grass and such.

You should start by downloading the Sketchucation Extension store plugin and thru it you can browse and install extensions easily.
    You will have to register at Sketchucation but it's free if you don't want the extras that comes with a paid membership.
    Ask your questions at the forum and I'm sure someone will help.

Hey, guys so glad I found this subreddit because SketchUp help is hard to find on the internet. Basically, i have this 2d jpeg image that I'm trying to convert into a 3d image inside SketchUp. besides the obvious solution of trying to create the object from scratch, what options do I have? can anyone do this?

For SketchUp help I would recommend the Sketchucation forums.
    As to your question I really don't understand what you're trying to achieve.