Clicky

Newbie - How to make wood panel

Thread: Newbie - How to make wood panel

Hybrid View

Default Newbie - How to make wood panel

Hi,

I am having problems making wood panels like this (http://www.ronenbekerman.com/making-of-garden-office/). When I do this my "space" between the planks on the texture gets in the middle of the plank. As seen where the mouse are in the screenshoot below.
    What textures should I use, how does they look?

I know that this is an universal thing and I am not using 3ds max (sorry, does not work on my mac) and I am asking here as you guys seam to have the skills, the quallity at the things at this page is were I want to be some day.. But here is a printscreen from modo.
    Name:  textureproblem.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  62.6 KB
    Offcorse I can move the UVs around and fix it, but is there a faster way of doing this? Have seen many professionals that does not even UV map and gets a good ressult. Or is that just luck?

Would love some of the great tools that Max has, like MaterialByElement Modifier, Floor generator, Forest Pack and so on. But the only thing I have found in Modo does not work with my renderer (Octane). Som I am back at square one.
    Right now I am painting it in Mari to get it right, but it takes extra time.

Hope you can help me.

/Fredrik

Bump, no one ?

As you can see in ronenberkerman post, although the body of the shed remains solid, he has split it up. So if I was you, if you do not have a plugin to do it, you may need to connect all the verticle edges together, to form the width of the boards, and then split them, to form the lengths. This will also give you more control on the corners. Then select all the outside faces, using edit poly, and insert all the faces using 'insert normal' by about 1mm, and then extrude the faces, and then select all the lines and chamfer the edges. This will make it look as though all the boards are about 2mm apart, forming noce drop shadows. I rarely use uvw unwrap modifier. I would also select random faces, and use a mutlitexture or subobject material on it to apply the material.

Sorry I hope that helps.

Steven
    Check out my portfolio at http://www.crisp3d.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by CRISP3D View Post
    As you can see in ronenberkerman post, although the body of the shed remains solid, he has split it up. So if I was you, if you do not have a plugin to do it, you may need to connect all the verticle edges together, to form the width of the boards, and then split them, to form the lengths. This will also give you more control on the corners. Then select all the outside faces, using edit poly, and insert all the faces using 'insert normal' by about 1mm, and then extrude the faces, and then select all the lines and chamfer the edges. This will make it look as though all the boards are about 2mm apart, forming noce drop shadows. I rarely use uvw unwrap modifier. I would also select random faces, and use a mutlitexture or subobject material on it to apply the material.

Sorry I hope that helps.

Steven
    Thanks Steven. It sounds like this solution that Uhlik Architekti uses in this project: "House Forest Retreat" (I think it's a Neb creation).

This is a screengrab of his UV that he then paints in PS.
    Name:  UV.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  36.9 KB
    Name:  PS.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  40.3 KB

I think I will need to do it like this, as I can not find any good plugin for Modo (or C4D) for generating the wood panel or random textures (would love a tutorial on this if there is such a plugin).

I have recently finished this project, and I had to UV map evenything by hand and then paint it in MARI. It's took way to long for such a small project.
    Name:  Attefallhus_Wireframe_1600.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  151.9 KB
    Name:  Attefallhus_Color_1600.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  150.6 KB

I think I need a teacher or good tutorial on how to do this kind of things.
    Last edited by sirhaffy; 03-27-2017 at 09:37 AM.