Clicky

WIP - The Listening Room (Light Study)

Thread: WIP - The Listening Room (Light Study)

Default WIP - The Listening Room (Light Study)

This is a personal project which started out as a IES lighting study illuminated box. I've been using this to progress my skills.
    Name:  IES lighting test 01 (Custom).jpg
Views: 3253
Size:  19.1 KB
    which I created in Sketchup and rendered in kerkythea. Having completed a few initial renders I decided to develop the scene further into an audiophiles minimalist listening room populated with models from 3d warehouse
    Name:  IES lighting test 03 (Custom).jpg
Views: 1632
Size:  25.0 KB
    the object here is to create a believable interior scene (which I haven't done before) I abandoned the IES lights quite quickly in favour of physically modelled lights
    Name:  IES lighting test 05 (Custom).jpg
Views: 3169
Size:  31.0 KB
    I'm trying to create a story within the scene, the audiophile is outside having a cigarette during a listening session on a windy night. There is much to be done to this scene, I am keen to hear your thoughts on its impact, believability and technique.
    Name:  IES lighting test 07 (Custom).jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  35.2 KB
    Final (for the moment) render
    Name:  the listening room focus blur 01 (Custom).jpg
Views: 1453
Size:  32.6 KB
    Post pro DOF effect - looks a little tiltshift to me

Thanks for looking

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I see you're using Kerkythea, something I used to use quite some time ago.

I'd switch back to .ies lights, I much prefer the look of them - Also I'd start using an unbiased render solution, specifically Metropolis Light Transport or (if time is no issue) BiDirectional Path Tracing.

The anti-aliasing on it doesn't look that great too me, and all of the images would benefit from something happening outside - it's currently just too dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Macker View Post
    I see you're using Kerkythea, something I used to use quite some time ago.

I'd switch back to .ies lights, I much prefer the look of them - Also I'd start using an unbiased render solution, specifically Metropolis Light Transport or (if time is no issue) BiDirectional Path Tracing.

The anti-aliasing on it doesn't look that great too me, and all of the images would benefit from something happening outside - it's currently just too dark.
    Thanks for the reply.

I'll have to think about switching back to ies lights, its a matter of find the right light and data and it can be a needle in a haystack to find the right light.

these images were all rendered with MLT (i don't render with anything else these days) so i might try BPT if there's possibility of improvement. as this is still a wip i've been rendering at 1230px wide which could affect the anti aliasing I guess.

Lots of work still to do!

Thanks again

The next thing I was planning to do was add some interest outside