Clicky

The Museum by Aidan Acker

Thread: Aidan Acker

Default Aidan Acker

I am joining the challenge at a late date!

I wanted to join the challenge earlier but had too many deadlines. Now that the deadline is slightly extended and I have finished some projects, I would like to participate. I would like to push the boundaries of the software to see what it can do.

I am a landscape architect, so my concept is to explore the idea of landscape as both an exterior and interior treatment. The exterior being a more wild, less cultivated look, and the interior objectifying the idea of landscape, using pots and miniaturization to bring ordered nature into the space. I would like to create a dialogue from inside the space to the outside, and vice versa.

I have some catching up to do, but I will begin sketching and storyboarding immediately. I look forward to working together with everyone!

Best,
    Aidan

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

To begin, I have done a quick analysis of the site. From a landscape design perspective, I have not yet had the opportunity to design both interior and exterior, and I think I will enjoy the challenge. I am teaching a landscape analysis class right now, so I was extra inspired to do a quick analysis to search for sources of inspiration.

First, this is an aerial of the site and its immediate surroundings:

Name:  1 analysis aerial.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  81.9 KB

I quickly marked all of the major green space, trees/shrubs, and water:

Name:  2 analysis.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  38.0 KB

One thing that has drawn me to Lumion, and that I find so effective compared to any other visualization program, is its ability to handle landscape elements to quickly and easily: use of water and vegetation do not slow down the design process, nor the rendering process, significantly compared to other programs. While I love Sketchup, using realistic-looking vegetation isn't even an option due to high poly count. I love that I have the ability to design in Sketchup and render as well as animate in Lumion, all without having to sacrifice speed or quality.

Because of how fantastically Lumion handles landscape elements, I would like to use the surrounding urban landscape as inspiration for bringing the same elements onto the grounds and into the gallery space of NNG. Below is a diagram for my concept of bringing the water into the gallery and the grounds:

Name:  3 water.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  55.5 KB

I also want to relate the space to the largest surrounding green space, Grober Tiergarten:

Name:  5 concept aerial 2.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  80.9 KB

Bringing this into the gallery should be less literal, simply creating an interior space that connects to the exterior and conceptually reflects the elements that have shaped and are shaped by their surroundings. Here is a diagram of how this might be designed with the vegetation and the water:

Name:  6 trees.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  55.6 KB

Next up: Sketchup and actual sketches will be posted, and then quickly moving into Lumion.

I'm finally getting to some massing concepts. My idea is to play off of the interior/exterior relationship of the space. I began by creating both an interior and exterior reflecting pool to introduce the river concept onto the grounds and inside the gallery. I also decided that I will relate the landscape to the gallery's aesthetic by using the grid, repeating a pattern of plantings both inside and outside of the gallery walls. Using the grid as an organizing element, I am mirroring the footprint of the interior reflecting pool using vegetation, leaving a 4' open perimeter on either side of the walls of the gallery, so that viewers can walk around the installation and still feel enclosed by the vegetation itself, regardless of whether the viewer is inside or outside of the gallery.

I decided to scale the vegetation with each row, so that an angular shape is created in contrast with the right angles of the gallery itself. This shape exists inside the gallery as well as extending to either side of the grounds. Where the northern overhang exists, the space is left empty to reflect the dimensions of the overhang and to give a resting place for the body and the eye. To the north, the scale of the vegetation is set back to 1 and the feeling should be one of standing in a vast expanse of vegetation, like a field but also like a formal garden. Box hedges could be used, or possibly ornamental grasses. One should be able to walk throughout all of these plantings and feel their relationship to the lines of the space.

This first image shows a series of perspectives. On the left is the plain grid with each plant shown as a sphere; on the right is the design concept showing the gradually scaled vegetation:

Name:  massing concepts.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  108.7 KB

Here are few more shots to give a bit more information about where I am going with this design:

Name:  section.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  87.1 KB

Next, I will move into Lumion and begin really building out the space, focusing on water and vegetative elements. I am also excited to continue working on a contextual model. I would like to either fly in or fly out of the space at the beginning or the end of the animation, showing the surrounding urban elements, river, and gardens. I am also planning on hinting at the influences of these elements throughout the animation by cutting to shots of the river and garden periodically. I would like to create a sense of mystery as to what the various elements I show are, ending with cumulative shots that tell the story of each separate element coming together to form a design that relates to its surrounding context.

I'm now working on the urban context of the model. Berlin is well modeled already, so pulling in existing buildings is easy, and I'll model the rest. I want this animation to show the gallery in its context, building a layered narrative about both the space and Berlin itself.

I can't wait to get into Lumion, but I know that it will pay to model things as completely as possible in Sketchup beforehand. Here is the progress so far:

Name:  context.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  50.1 KB

Hi. I like the sound of this concept, the ideas of interpenetrating space, perceived enclosure and contextual relationship. Also there is the "versus" of nature and modernist architecture.